Topic: Routing: using the Ipad (through the Babyface Pro) as an FX?

Hi,

I’m trying without success to understand the possibilities of TotalMix FX for routing.
I have to admit i don’t understand all unless what i want is not possible.

I have an ipad connected (USB) and i want to use some FX apps to mangle the sound of an Octatrack  CUE output and get back to the Octatrack.
I’d like to use the input 4 and route it though a software playback then to an output of the babyface pro (the Phones 4). Is it doable? Or in any other way?

I’ve been trying to see with the Matrix but i start to doubt if i can do it.

Any help much appreciated!

Re: Routing: using the Ipad (through the Babyface Pro) as an FX?

I’m interested in this, too. Having the ability to route audio from a UFX+ through iPad FX and then back into the UFX+ would be fantastic.

3 (edited by blasted_pingin 2019-12-03 10:41:34)

Ok soi’m gonna answer myself wink

To use you iPad as an Fx Box through your soundcard, you’ll need an app called Aum (maybe there’s an equivalent) capable of routing the different signals.

The trick is to acknowledge which inputs/outputs names in Aum correspond to which physical inputs/outputs of your soundcard. (The layers of inputs/software playback/output in Totalmix got me confused. You actually don’t need TotalMix to use your iPad as an Fx Box).

In Aum:

1. You select Input by clicking on the + button. Then hardware input.
Here i am given choice between Usb1 to Usb 12 (or paired). In my case, with the Babyface Pro, Usb3 as an input in Aum refers to Instrument 3 Input on the Babyface.

2. You select and effect to be applied.

3. In output, you select harware ouput. Here you still have a list of Usb ports from 1 to 12 BUT although the name is the same, THEY DON’T REFER TO THE SAME PHYSICAL INPUTS/OUPUTS.
In my case with the Babyface Pro, USB3 refers here to one of the Headphones ouput.

Hope this can be helpful for someone passing by wink

blasted_pingin, this is great info.  Do you know if you can be running TotalMix FX on the iPad (and controlling the soundcard) at the same time as using AUM for external FX? My situation is that there will some occasions when I'm running my UFX+ as a standalone digital mixer (i.e. controlled via TotalMix FX on my iPad) but I may want to use additional external FX on my iPad on just a single channel or two.  From what you've written, it sounds like this might indeed be possible.

My UFX+ has been ordered but still hasn't arrived, so I can't test/experiment myself yet.

Sorry if i confused you. I was saying that you don’t need to use Totalmix to do the routing, not that you can’t wink

In practice i don’t see why it would not work, you’ll see for yourself as i don’t own the Ufx but for me it was simpler to delete Totalmix from the equation to understand how to do the routing.

Once i identified the ins/outs, then why not using Totalmix to do the « listening » routing (what is called « submix » in TotalMix to dose what/how much you wanna hear in headphones, or in main outs, ...).
I was just glad to realize it is possible to use internal routing possibilities of the babyface pro without having to use Totalmix. Then i don’t know if using it at same time than Aum would interfere/take over the routing used in Aum...

blasted_pingin wrote:

Sorry if i confused you. I was saying that you don’t need to use Totalmix to do the routing, not that you can’t wink

No confusion here...I was more wondering if you'd tried using both and if it worked or not.

Then i don’t know if using it at same time than Aum would interfere/take over the routing used in Aum...

Ah ok, this is what I'm curious about.  I guess I'll just have to wait until my unit arrives and I can do some experimenting.