1 (edited by TLrme 2019-12-13 11:07:21)

Topic: Instrument input impedance on Babyface Pro FS vs Babyface Pro

Hello. I remember asking here in the forum once about the line/instrument inputs of the Babyface Pro being only 470KOhm while for guitars it is often stated you want 1MOhm as this is what the inputs on actual amps usually have. The RME rep responded that it doesn't matter at all and that there would be no tonal differences between either impedance.

I can see now that a revised Babyface Pro FS has been released, and they change the impedance at the line/instrument inputs to 1MOhm. So I wonder if RME discover the lower impedance WAS impeding the tone in some way and thus decided it requires being raised, or that they just did so because they understood people were asking about it, regardless of it affecting the tone?

EDIT: Perhaps I didn't ask on this forum as I can't find that post now, but I remember asking somehwere with someone from RME responding to me.

Re: Instrument input impedance on Babyface Pro FS vs Babyface Pro

You find all technical information in the manuals of BBF, BBF Pro, BBF Pro FS...

The old BBF (not Pro) hat 470 kOhm, BBF Pro and BBF Pro FS both have 1 MOhm.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You find all technical information in the manuals of BBF, BBF Pro, BBF Pro FS...

The old BBF (not Pro) hat 470 kOhm, BBF Pro and BBF Pro FS both have 1 MOhm.

Hm... I checked the manual again this time and I think they made a mistake in the PDF for the Babyface Pro, as the specs written at the end do say 1MOhm for the line/instrument inputs, but the text under the "Analog recording" section says "Input channels 3 and 4 are found as TS jacks on the right side of the Babyface Pro. These Hi-Z
universal inputs have an input impedance of 470 kOhm". Perhaps this is a piece of text they copied from the older Babyface manual and they forgot the change the number there?

You are right, sorry no idea, up to RME ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You are right, sorry no idea, up to RME ...

Well, let's see if the rep here verifies the 470kOhm quote was just a mistake.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 68#p135968

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah. Well, I did buy mine years ago (in 2015), but if you say that everything which went into the market was already 1MOhm. But perhaps RME could have fixed that PDF and re-upload to clear any confusion.