Topic: Extra headphone on fireface UCX/UC via output 5/6

Hi everyone!

I'd like to use an extra headphone set to spare my neighbours at nght, and be able to work as a duo in my studio.

I have an UCX and UC connected via ADAT, and use the UCX as 'master'.
There is only one 'official' headphone output.

Question:
can I plug a headphone into output 5 on the UCX and make a seperate headphone mix in totalmix for it?
or do I need to buy a dedicated headphone amp like the presonus hp4? (and if yes: why?)

Thank you!

Re: Extra headphone on fireface UCX/UC via output 5/6

How many do you need in total ?

From your description it's not clear whether you use already the phones output of the UC as second phones output (which would be possible) or not.

A phones output you can use as unbalanced line out. But I am not 100% sure whether vice versa is possible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello,

output 5 and the other rear panel outputs are mono, and not usable for phones... You'd need a separate external headphone amplifier or so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You can use your UC headphone out through adat (or analogue or spdif)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

thanks for your responses.

it would be great if I could use the one from my UC,
however, since al the outputs of my UCX are routed to the UC via ADAT, and I'm using the UCX as master, if I connect my second headphone to the UC headphone output, I cant set the mix for that one (ha did you lose me already?).

Or can I?

Yes lost you lol. Be very specific in what you use what is free and what you want. In principle you can use any stereo out of the UCX (adat, spdif electrical or analogue pair) to send audio to the UC. You then set up the UC to send that input to its headphones out.
I have 3 headphones locations which are all send from my no headphones hdsp9652 (only digital outs, 3 adats and a spdif).
You do need a basic understanding of totalmix.

Vincent, Amsterdam

That actually worked! thanks!

I sent a submix of the ucx to adat port 7/8 and it was visible in my input on the UC, I then routed that input to the headphones mix on the UC.

Interestingly though, there is some signal loss (mainly gain). Is this normal/logical?

What is "there"?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 db in volume/gain difference

10 (edited by vinark 2019-12-19 12:31:36)

Still not clear. Where different? What you see on the adat out of the UCX (bottom row totalmix) should be identical to what you see on the input row of the UC. For the rest it is gain settings.
But make sure they are both on RMS or peak.

Vincent, Amsterdam

11 (edited by ramses 2019-12-19 12:33:06)

But where .. on which input / output ?

You are sending a signal digital though:
ADAT out
ADAT in
and from there analog through
Phones output.

There are many potential reasons why a signal is lower:
- moved the fader of input and outputs
- using another reference level on analog ports
- lowered output level on phones output not to shred your ears.

Sorry, but your description is not detailed enough and maybe you should add a screenshot of both TM FX instances showing clearly what you mean.