Topic: Can ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2 DAC work as stand alone HIFI DAC?

Can the Pro or DAC models be used as a stand alone DAC in a HIFI system without being plugged into a computer?  For example, as an external DAC for a network streamer.

Also, can either model be plugged into a computer via USB to be used as a headphone amp, but also hooked up to a HIFI in the scenario above?

I have two separate uses and I'm trying to work out if either model with do both.

Thanks!

Re: Can ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2 DAC work as stand alone HIFI DAC?

> Can the Pro or DAC models be used as a stand alone DAC in a HIFI system without being plugged into a computer?

Yes of course. I am using the ADI-2 DAC in front of my HiFi.

Maybe it would be useful for you as well to connect a 4:1 TOSLINK switcher to the ADI-2 DAC / Pro.
Then you can connect up to 4 digital audio sources to the ADI-2 DAC/Pro like i.e.: PC, TV, BluRay player, CD Player.
The Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 has the best design and a good working remote.
Be aware of that this device does not support more than 96 kHz, although the vendor claims it on the product package and in the technical informations on webpage. But this is simply a lie and the company doesn't do anything to fix it or to fulfull a promised replacement. If you can live with it, fine, see also: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … lerangabe/

Then you can either connect the ADI-2 Pro/DAC to a preamp or you can use the ADI-2 Pro/DAC as preamp in front of an amplifier / passive speakers combination or to simply connect active monitors.

You can also connect i.e a PC or Laptop to it via USB.

The difference between ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro FS. The ADI-2 DAC FS is more for HiFi, the ADI-2 Pro FS more for studio use. See the product pages and manual for the features and differences.

Basically you should be aware of that the ADI-2 DAC FS got a refresh, a new AKM DAC.
This brings: slightly higher SNR, new D/A filter mode of the new DAC chip and a new remote.
Since the last firmware upgrade all customers can use the new remote as well.

The ADI-2 DAC FS I would recommend to you for HiFi use, because of:
- the new DAC chip
- the new remote
- its outputs are more for HiFi use (XLR and also cinch plugs)
- one phones output for normal phones and one for IEM's which is esp noise free

But it has only one D/A converter and not A/D converter.

The ADI-2 Pro FS has no remote, but is more according to studio work:
- has additionally AES
- supports ADAT and optical / coaxial SPDIF
- it has 2 DA converter, so you can connect two phones for comparison purposes or to listen together with a friend
- as it has 2 D/A converter you can also use it for phones supporting balanced connection
- has an A/D converter
- has not only optical IN but also optical OUT
All in all the ADI-2 Pro FS is a very versatile unit, but for HiFi use you potentially do not need these extra features and can save some money by this and you get the new AKM chip.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Dave!   Per Ramses, not only is the RME capable of fulfilling your needs, but it is a Superb Choice to add to your System.   Highly Endorsed!!

Welcome to the Group!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thank you very much for the replies Ramses and Curt962, it is much appreciated!

Yes, I was looking at both the Pro and DAC FS models, possibly using the analog ins on the Pro model to rip some vinyl, but will go for the DAC FS and keep my Babyface Pro for the vinyl.  Thanks again

5 (edited by ramses 2019-12-27 00:03:34)

For this purpose you could theoretically get an ADI-2 FS additionally and connect it to the ADAT IN port of the ADI-2 DAC FS.
The question is, whether this really makes sense.

The ADI-2 FS might have slightly better Analog INs / AD conversion quality,
BUT ... phono is genereally a little bit limited in terms of SNR, dynamic compared to the BBF Pro's D/A converters capabilities.
I leave it up to you whether you think, that this additional purchase might make sense for your setup / archiving your LPs.

I think you should try it out, as the AKM converter are really nice and then decide.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13