Topic: sound problems from analog inputs and no sound from pre-amp UFX+

hey

everything worked and suddnly i cant  hear sound from the ufx+ pre-amps inputs. dont have a clue what append

i reinstall the driver and thought it would reset everything (include Totalmix) but the settings stay the same.

how the reset everything? totalmix? and the interface? i searched all over the manual with no luck.

the "host" an "in 1" is lighted

when i plug to input 1 i hear the guitar but very low and cant increase the volume in totalmix.

please try to help.
thank you

Re: sound problems from analog inputs and no sound from pre-amp UFX+

>  i searched all over the manual with no luck

Sorry, but hard to believe. If you use the search function of your PDF reader and search for "Reset",
then you will find chapter 25.10 where resetting of TM FX is explained.
Hint: in TM FX under: Options -> Reset Mix -> [lots of options for some default routings up to a total reset of the mixer]

Did you save snapshot and workspace to be able to recall the previous state of the mixer, when the routing was proper and worked ? Then it would be very easy to restore. I do not think that the new installation of the driver was necessary. It simply installs the driver again, but doesn't change / restore any of the settings...

Before reinstalling the driver I would have checked whether something changed in the settings:

1. in the RME driver settings:
1.1 is there still a WDM device defined for the port where your monitors are connected to, i.e. Analog (1/2) ?
1.2 in the TAB "Speaker": is this device selected as speaker device ?
1.3 does this speaker device show up in the Windows sound settings ?
1.4 did you mark this RME UFX+ USB3.0 Speaker device as "standard device" for Windows sound (for Windows and all applications that do not support ASIO) ?

Sometimes it can happen that the Windows sound settings change.
Then its usually only required to make the RME Speaker Symbol again to the Windows default sound device.

2. In TM FX you need to check the routing
2.1 In my example: click to the HW Output Analog (1+2) which matches to your Windows default sound device
2.2 Check the Fader settings whether you route audio (the wanted channels) from HW inputs and SW playback channels to there. This is the case if the fader position is 0dB or similar (but not infinitive).

If you have a routing for Main Monitor, Phones etc, then you should assign it to TM FX snapshot 1 up to snapshot 8.
This you save then
- into a snapshot file (its a backup of the routing)
- into a workspace file (contains i.e. Windows positioning, etc)
You can additionally save it all to a so called "Workspace Quick Select Slot", because its easy to restore all from there
using i.e. ALT-1.

You should read the manual to become more familiar with the operation.

You can also follow my step by stop primer here
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

and watch the very good RME video tutorials:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thank you so much for helping!!!

i did change the wdm to analog out 3/4. all worked perfectly but i think the problem happend once i changed the windows sounds to no sound.
i tried disabling the wdm but still no luck
i did a reset in total mix but the faders stayed the same like nothing has change...

theres no sound when i plug the guitar to mic/line 9 (analog 9) and it did before...
the "In" 1 in the interface is on. maybe its causing the problem?
when i plug a guitar in the mic/line 9 (analog 9), is the the sig 48v or trs supposed to be on? its not on and i think it was before...

i choose analog 3/4 as defult in windows sound settings and it didnt solve the problem.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-01-05 22:45:42)

EDITED:

This is starting to become a mess. Its fully unclear, whats connected to where and for what purpose.
We need to bring some structure into it.

So please be so kind and describe your setup:
1. What do you want to achieve ?
2. What devices are connected to which ports ?
3. What applications are in use and do they support ASIO ?

What I understood so far...

a) you have a guitar and connect it to one of the four instrument inputs, in this case: Analog 9 IN.
     So far so good, but a guitar does not need phantom power (where you have this strange information from ?!)
     and you need to set the input to "Inst" (this is the button right beside 48V).

b) you seem to have active monitors (which one ?) but you do not seem to have a cable with XLR plugs,
    therefore you seem to use AN3/4 to use TRS plugs ? Is that correctly assumed ?
    Do the active monitors support balanced connections ? If yes: are you using a proper cable with 3 wires and
    TRS plugs on both sides ? Just to validate your setup / cabling.

If you connect your guitar to an instrument input then I think you want to play through a virtual guitar amp, correct ?

3 possibilities to take care of ...

a) If the virtual amp runs as VSTi inside of a DAW, then the DAW surely uses the RME ASIO driver.
Then audio completely bypasses the Windows audio system and then you DO NOT need WDM.
WDM drivers are only being generated for Windows and Applications that do not support ASIO.
Its then only a matter of routing audio from the proper SW Playback channel to the HW output.

b) If your virtual amp is a stand-alone application then there is a good chance that it also supports ASIO.
Also in this case WDM setup is completely irrelevant.
You use the ASIO driver and all is simply a matter of routing the audio signal from a SW playback channel to a HW output.

c) Only if your virtual amp is not inside of the DAW, stand-alone application so to say and has no ASIO support,
then you need a WDM device for
- the Instr input and
- for the output(s) where your monitors or phones are connected to.

Otherwise .. everything which I told you in terms of WDM devices is for
- Windows, which does not support ASIO
- Windows Applications, which does not support ASIO (nearly everything but your DAW program).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I tried routing but nothing helps with the preamps. I got no signal from the pre-amp

the analog inputs in the back (nit the pre-amps) have no gain. Very low signal. It suppose to be like this, right?

I disabled the wdm and restart windows and it didnt help.

6 (edited by Motix 2020-01-05 23:25:08)

Motix wrote:

I tried routing but nothing helps with the preamps. I got no signal from the pre-amp

the analog inputs in the back (nit the pre-amps) have no gain. Very low signal. It suppose to be like this, right?

I disabled the wdm and restart windows and it didnt help.

I sent this massage before i noticed your last massage

I'll explain what im trying to achive.
I want to record in cubase a guitar with guitar rig, e-drums (midi input, midi keyboard (usb).
The midi and usb work. The volume is ok.

My speakers are connected to the 3/4 analog outputs.
In cubase i set it to them.

When i connect to analog input 1, i get a low signal in cubase and i cant increase the gain in totalmix (not in submix and not in free (and im 99% sure i have a few hours ago). But when i open guitar rig and chose a preset its not low.
In my previous AKAI  eie pro interface, it had a gain knob.

The biggest issue is that the preamp inputs 9-12 wont work. I get no signal in totalmix or cubase... nothing happens when i play the guitar.
Do i need maybe to check if something changed in the interface itself setting?

Can i do a reset to factory settings in the interface itself?

I did a total reset to totalmix and the faders stayed the same. Is this supposed to be like this?

Its odd that i cant do full reset to the software and to the interface itself...

7 (edited by ramses 2020-01-05 23:45:16)

> In my previous AKAI  eie pro interface, it had a gain knob.

The UFX+ Mic 9 input needs to be set to "instr"  AND it also has a gain knob ...
Maybe you forgot to turn up the gain ?!
This would explain why you see not input in your DAW.

Can you please provide a screenshot of your TM FX window where one can see the channel settings (instr, gain, etc).

How to post images: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

In Cubase you selected the RME ASIO driver ?
And .. if you use a DAW like cubase ... then WDM settings are irrelevant, the ASIO driver bypasses windows sound fully...

8 (edited by Motix 2020-01-06 00:02:53)

SUBMIX
https://ibb.co/wW0ydF4

FREE
https://ibb.co/1RB1g15

I CHANGED IT TO INSTROMENT TO ON AND IT WORKS NOW...
thank you so much
but how do i increase the analog 9 input gain in total mix?
in cubase the signal is low

i dont understand how that append. it worked and then it changed to instrument off by itself?

i didnt touch any of that stuff
maybe its from the WDM thing?

btw what channel ph9 means in total mix?

Image quality is not good, does your snapshot tool reduce the JPG quality to 75% or alike ? Set quality pls to 100% so that details stay visible.

> i dont understand how that append. it worked and then it changed to instrument off by itself?

No, you simply did not save settings, thats all.
UFX+ / TM FX is fully reliable, but you simply need to know how to operate it.

I have a certain feeling, that you simply rushed through things thinking that everything is more or less the same like with your old interface. But it is not.

You should read the manual, my step by step primer and the RME tutorial videos. Then you have all you need.

Just pressed the images and they are not small.
Try to right click (mouse) or long press (phone) on them and select open photo in new tab.

If it doesnt work out ill uploud new pics.

I saw some rme videos about totalmix... but ill need to read the manual.
I just found out how to oparate the interface with the buttons and knobs.

I will watch and read what you reccomnded

Id like to thank you for your help. I Really appricate it!

Please check the pics again

11 (edited by ramses 2020-01-06 07:27:37)

You're welcome Motix. Give it some time, Rome has also not being build in a few days wink

The manual is very well written and you can learn a lot from it.

Also the RME videos are very well .. good explained and the usual Youtube "bla bla" factor is at 0%.
So you get this information presented very well so that it does not spoil your time.

In my step by step guide I guide you through the most important points and features,
so that you have a nice starting point on which you can base.

I recommend you the following order
1. videos .. its very illustrative and a "teaser" to see, what can be done with the UFX+, it takes not too much time.
2. my totalmix primer to get a solid basic setup in not too many steps; if something is unclear in the steps please tell.
3. manual, you will see that the manual will give you an overview at the beginning, about device capabilities, driver, firmware upgrade and then goes more and more into details. With a good PDF reader like acrobat you can later search for topics. All RME manuals are structured in the same way, which means, its pretty easy to find information.