Topic: Some Questions about RME DigiFace USB

Hi, I've never used an RME interface before, so I have a few questions.

I'm thinking about buying a Digiface USB.

My current interface is a Behringer UMC1820 with an Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain connected via adat.
but I have quite a few synths and am running out of inputs.

My plan is to buy 2 more ADA8200's and the DigiFace USB to link everything together.

from what I can see the digiface USB has no Wordclock input, how does it sync with the interface?

Also as the Digiface has no audio output, how do you use it as an ASIO interface?

If Im using the Digiface as my main ASIO driver ,how do I route the output to the Behringer UMC1820 , so I can hear the output through my monitors?

sorry for the basic questions :-)

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-01-08 01:00:49)

Re: Some Questions about RME DigiFace USB

Hello!

I use the DigiFace USB and it is great!

from what I can see the digiface USB has no Wordclock input, how does it sync with the interface?

Apart from ADA8200 ADAT Out -> DF ADAT In, you also need to connect DF ADAT Out -> ADA8200 ADAT In. Then, you can have the DF as Clock Master, because the word clock signal is transferred through optical connections. You also need to set the ADA8200 as Clock slave.

Also as the Digiface has no audio output, how do you use it as an ASIO interface?

You can use it as audio interface with an external D/A converter, such as the ADA8200 !
You can connect your monitors to a couple of the Behringer's Analog Outs, and route them accordingly in TotalMixFX(which is the main routing mixer of the DigiFace, and every RME audio interface). That is why you, also, need to have the DF ADAT Out -> ADA8200 ADAT In connection, as well !

EDIT: I forgot to mention the excellent quality of the HeadPhones Output! So there is, indeed, a stereo Analog Output!

This way, you won't be needing the UMC1820 for monitoring purposes.

So, you can connect 3 Behringer ADA8200s to the DigiFace, using both ADAT Ins and Outs(6 cables total), have the DigiFace as Clock Master and the ADAs as Clock Slaves, and you're set!

You could, also, use the UMC1820 as a fourth AD/DA converter, as well ! (I don't know if there would be any drivers conflicts, though)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thank you,
thats great :-)

4 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-01-08 18:07:20)

You're welcome! smile

Also, the ports of the DigiFace can either be ADAT or SPDIF, so if you have a synth with SPDIF Optical Out, you can connect it directly on the DigiFace!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632