1 (edited by ywshuo 2020-01-13 02:59:58)

Topic: Sync two HDSPe cards (AIO and AES) with ADI-2 Pro and everything else

Hello there,

I have encountered some clocking problems when trying to use 2 HDSPe cards.

So in my setup, I have 2x ADI-pro 2 (1x FS 1 no FS), 2x HDSPe (AIO and AES), 1x Apogee Rosetta 800, 1x Apogee AD16X and 1xApogee DA16X. (the none FS ADI-2 Pro and Rosetta are irrelevant here so no further mention below.)

Goal: Use ADI-2 Pro FS as the master clock and loop sync everything.

Step 1, I use ADI-2 PRO FS as the master clock, connect to HDSPe AIO via SPDIF (coax). So AIO is set to AutoSync. No problem here.

Step 2, I use a 3 pin internal cable(VKWC) connecting the "sync OUT" on HDSPe AIO's mainboard with "sync IN" on HDSPe AES's mainboard. (maybe this is the problem?)

Step 3, Connect all IOs of HDSPe AES with corresponding IO on Apogee AD16X and DA16X.

Problem:

On the setting page of HDSPe AES, under the "Preferred sync Ref/ Input Status", the "Int." shows "Lock" instead of "sync". If I change the sample rate on ADI-2 Pro FS, the sample rate next to Int. Lock changes with it which means the 3 pin cable is indeed passing the clock signal from ADI-2 through AIO to AES.

But if I select AutoSync on AES, the Mode automatically goes to AES 1 despite my preferred sync ref is set to Int. (I suppose it should show Int. if I do everything right). And the number on ADDA16X keeps descending from 48 to 47.99 to 47.96 as if no clock is connected. If I select Master on HDSPe AES, the number on ADDA16X stays at 48 or whatever sample rate I choose so the AES connection and the setting on Apogees are not the problem.

Seems the core of the problem is that the two HDSPe cards are not really synced.

What did I do wrong? What did I miss?

Thank you very much!

Tao

Re: Sync two HDSPe cards (AIO and AES) with ADI-2 Pro and everything else

The AES must (of course ) NOT be set to Int. As explained in the manual (page 8 etc) the internal connection is called Sync In and also available as clock source choice.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ywshuo 2020-01-13 23:04:41)

There is indeed a "Sync In" option under AIO setting page, but no "Sync In" under AES setting page, it only shows:
Word
AES 1 - 8
TCO
Int.

When the Apogee ADDA16X is not turned on, the system Clock Mode on AES setting page is Sync In. But when I turn the ADDA on, the Mode goes to AES 1 regardless of what I choose under "Preferred Sync Ref."

What could be the problem?

(MAC OS X driver version 4.15)

If that clock option is missing it would be a bug in the Mac driver, but simple to fix. We'll check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That was a bug. New driver 4.15_3 is available on our website. The lowest choice, Int., is the one referring to Sync In. It simply did not work, now it does and is remembered.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It is now working properly. Thank you.