Topic: Before Buy: ADI-2 DAC FS

Hello,

I like to use the ADI-2 DAC FS as a DAC/Preamp with a Hypex Ncore Amp, no other Preamp should be involved.

I like to know I could limit the max volume for the individual outputs (Line, Headphone, IEM)? If not would it be possible that this get implemented in a firmware update? Many Hifi-Amps/-Receivers have this feature.

Thanks
Jan

Re: Before Buy: ADI-2 DAC FS

Sure, see manual. Reflevel for converter can be set static or dynamic (autoreflevel).
The final volume is being set by the volume poti and remembered.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Sure, see manual. Reflevel for converter can be set static or dynamic (autoreflevel).
The final volume is being set by the volume poti and remembered.

I checked the manual and I think that Static/Dynamic & autoreflevel is not what I‘m looking for. Perhaps I'm wrong.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-01-22 09:45:24)

You would have more disadvantages with a device where you have only complete static settings,
which might not match ideal. With the ADI-2 DAC everything is possible.

Set reference level to suitable value and set volume up to 0dB.
Save those settings and the last changes (fine tuning settings by volume knob) are remembered by the device.
You can even program the remote, and assign to a key of your choise to restore the saved settings by pushing
1 knob on the remote. Same is possible on the unit itself.

The ADI-2 DAC is very flexible in that regards and on top offers you the nice feature of auto reflevel,
where you only need to adjust the output volume of the DAC up to a value which is optimum for the
inputs of your power amp or whatever and it automatically uses the best reference level of the
DAC chip to use it in the best working range.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

kmplng wrote:

I like to use the ADI-2 DAC FS as a DAC/Preamp with a Hypex Ncore Amp, no other Preamp should be involved.

I like to know I could limit the max volume for the individual outputs (Line, Headphone, IEM)? If not would it be possible that this get implemented in a firmware update? Many Hifi-Amps/-Receivers have this feature.

I have never seen a HiFi amp/Receiver with such a feature, but anyway:

- disabling AutoRef level and choosing a lower hardware output level (like -5 dBu) effectively limits the output volume for the XLR outputs. That should match what the Hypex needs quite well.

- for Phones choosing Low Power instead of High Power will reduce max volume by 15 dB

- IEM is limited to -3 dBu, which is a low level already

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I have never seen a HiFi amp/Receiver with such a feature, …

Thanks.

I have seen many modern of them that are controllable with Apps, Smart Home Integrations or for example Airplay that have his feature. This is needed since you could accidentally set the volume to 100%. With Airplay Volume you normally change the hardware volume so if you accidentally set 100% at your phone you damage your equipment or ears.

So limiting the max volume output is a great feature.

I would also like this as a protection for my kids controlling the volume wink