Topic: Using “IEM” jack for headphones OK?

On the ADI-2 DAC I have set “Mute Line” to “Toggle plugged” so that I can keep two headphones always connected and switch between them easily with a remote. I have inefficient/high-impedance headphones on “Phones” output, and efficient headphones (not IEMs) on the “IEM” output

My question is not about sound quality, but about over stressing the amp on the IEM jack. The headphones I have connected to the IEM jack are 24 Ohm and I set volume between -18 and -10 depending on the music. These same headphones on the “Phones” jack in auto-ref obviously need a lot less volume for the same SPL. Is the IEM jack ok to use with headphones at high volumes or is it better to use the “Phones” jack?

cheers,
Mike

P.S. great to see the next ADI-2 Pro fsr BE has a remote now! That was the only thing keeping me from buying a Pro. With the dual phone amps in the Pro, I won’t need to worry about the question I just asked.

Re: Using “IEM” jack for headphones OK?

You can't overload the IEM output. It provides its maximum output level (seen as 0 dBFS on the level meter) even for 16 Ohm loads. And is fully overload, short-circuit and over-temperature protected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Using “IEM” jack for headphones OK?

MC wrote:

You can't overload the IEM output. ...

Thanks MC.