1 (edited by JayDahl 2020-01-23 12:00:52)

Topic: ADI-2 PRO not working in USB mode when also connected via ADAT.

Hi,

we have a problem in our studio where we just got our ADI-2 PRO. We have a Presonus Quantum 4848 connected to the computer via thunderbolt and use that as the main audio interface in Studio One. From the Quantum we send adat 1-2, via optical out, to the ADI-2 pro's optical digital in.

If we start up Studio One and choose the Quantum adat 1-2 as main out, everything works fine. We get audio sent to the ADI-2 and it's then converted and sent to our monitor system and speakers (sounds great by the way!).

However, we also have the ADI-2 Pro hooked up via USB to the computer (Mac Pro 2013, High Sierra), so that we can use the ADI-2 pro for certain 1-2 channel recordings and as system audio out. The problem comes from trying to choose audio output in MacOS.
When we select the ADI-2 Pro USB as main out, we cant seem to get any sound out from spotify/Youtube etc. as long as the Quantum is turned on and hooked up to the ADI-2 pro. We have tried to have the ADI-2 in all different modes (USB, AUTO, DAC, etc.) but nothing seems to work. As soon as we turn on the quantum we cant get any signal when using the ADI-2 USB as main out in Mac OS.

If we could tell MacOS to use Quantum4848 ADAT 1-2 as main out, this wouldn't really be a problem, but I cant find a way to do that. I can only choose "Quantum4848 - Thunderbolt" and it then defaults to analog 1-2, which we dont want. (this is not a problem in windows, since it's easy to choose any output from any interface as main out).

We therefore need the ADI-2 PRO to work in usb-mode, even if it's connected via ADAT to the quantum4848, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

We're probably missing something either in MacOS settings or in the setup of the ADI-2, so any pointers in the right direction are appreciated!

Update: I tried disconnecting the optical cable connecting the ADI-2 and the quantum and it then seems to work to switch between the quantum and the ADI-2 in MacOS sound setttings - getting signal to my speakers from both. But as soon as connect the ADI-2, via adat, to the quantum the ADI-2 no longer works in USB mode..

Kind Regards,

Jay

MacPro HighSierra&AMD Win 10 PC. Studio One4 Cubase10. ADI-2 PRO,Quantum4848 HDSPe AIO Neumann KH310

Re: ADI-2 PRO not working in USB mode when also connected via ADAT.

Maybe you have set the unit to AD/DA mode. Set it to auto or USB to do what you want.

Also all I/Os are available separately when activating its Multi-channel mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Maybe you have set the unit to AD/DA mode. Set it to auto or USB to do what you want.

Also all I/Os are available separately when activating its Multi-channel mode.

We've managed to make it work. Sort of. My hope was that the unit could stay in auto mode, and switch between adat and usb input depending on where it's receiving signal. That doesn't seem to be the case though. When we have it set, in both setup and i/o, to "auto", then it wont play anything that comes to USB as long as the adat cable is plugged in.
But if we manually switch it between DAC and USB (in both setup and i/o settings) it works. Maybe that's how it was intended to work, but it's little bit annoying to have to do that. Was hoping for the auto function to figure what to use and when.

MacPro HighSierra&AMD Win 10 PC. Studio One4 Cubase10. ADI-2 PRO,Quantum4848 HDSPe AIO Neumann KH310

Both ADAT and USB are active as long as the respective devices are tunred on. Auto can not know when audio is sent or not. You need to turn off or remove the ADAT source for Auto to change to USB. And vice versa.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Both ADAT and USB are active as long as the respective devices are tunred on. Auto can not know when audio is sent or not. You need to turn off or remove the ADAT source for Auto to change to USB. And vice versa.

Okey. But, I was thinking that, if set to auto, it would prioritize USB over ADAT since it's written in the manual that "If USB is detected all inputs are routed to USB, all outputs are fed from USB. USB has priority over the converter mode."

But, it seems that if set to auto it will not play anything being sent to USB as long as the optical ADAT cable is connected - meaning that Converter mode has priority over USB mode? Or maybe I'm missing something else in the settings for this.

Maybe clock is set to adat and a different sample rate then usb?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632