Topic: Daisychaining HDSPe Madi FX and Madiface XT possible?

I need really large amounts of audio channels transported between two PCs (actually, one is a mac). I know that you can daisychain up to 3 equal RME devices. Does this also work combining the PCIe version with a madiface XT? I have not enough PCIe slots left for another card.
If that won’t work, in MacOS there is the aggregate device to join multiple interfaces to one. Is that recommendable? Stable? What would the latency be like joining those two interfaces?

2 (edited by ramses 2020-01-25 11:31:26)

Re: Daisychaining HDSPe Madi FX and Madiface XT possible?

> Does this also work combining the PCIe version with a madiface XT

You mean MADIface XT connected via USB3 or via external PCIe adapter ?
I think this depends on your system, whether its able to process audio of so many channels in time.

I remember a response from RME (in that case it was a RayDAT if I remember right), that the amount of cards that you can daisy chain mainly depends on the capability of the PC not so much on a limitation of the driver.

HDSPe MADI FX and MADIface XT are using the same ASIO driver driver_pciefx_win_XXX.zip

So the DAW should be able to access all channels of the HDSPe MADI FX and the MADIface XT by this ASIO driver.
For clocking purposes you could use either Word Clock between all cards on the two PCs
or maybe by synchronizing on one PC via AES (between HDSPe MADI FX and MADIface XT) and the other devices on the other PC could get the clock via MADI.

I think you would need to try it out.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13