Topic: Separate volume memory for each inputs

Is there a way to set the ADI-2 DAC up so that different last volume levels can be recalled when switching inputs?

I have been trying to simplify my hifi system and bought the RME to act as dac, preamp and room correction, replacing 3 devices previously, which it has been doing fabulously. But I am hoping to be able to use one digital input as a H/T bypass, by keeping that input at '0' db or fixed volume all the time. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Separate volume memory for each inputs

You need to switch saved Setups (the whole unit state) instead of only inputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Thank you. OK, so I can save a setup and that will include volume level when switched? Any idea how to make a harmony remote recall the setup when I select a different activity?

Also, on a different topic, the manual says that each band of eq is available from 20-20000 Hz, but on my unit only the first three bands work down to 20. The fourth band only allows me to go down to 200 Hz and I think the fifth one is higher still.

4 (edited by N00b 2020-01-31 13:21:58)

satx wrote:
MC wrote:

Thank you. OK, so I can save a setup and that will include volume level when switched? Any idea how to make a harmony remote recall the setup when I select a different activity?

Yes, the volume is saved on the preset.

satx wrote:
MC wrote:

Also, on a different topic, the manual says that each band of eq is available from 20-20000 Hz, but on my unit only the first three bands work down to 20. The fourth band only allows me to go down to 200 Hz and I think the fifth one is higher still.

Band 1 to 3 : < 200 Hz
4&5 : > 200 Hz

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

satx wrote:

Band 1 to 3 : < 200 Hz
4&5 : > 200 Hz

Page 21 of the manual says otherwise. .... And I quote "Band 1-5 Frequency- Adjustable from 20Hz  to 20.0 kHz".
Now band 5 says that High Cut is is adjustable from 200 Hz to 20 kHz. But as I read it that is only for High Cut. And 2-4 only offer Peak and Shelf, so no High Cut limit on that one either way.

satx wrote:

...Any idea how to make a harmony remote recall the setup when I select a different activity?

This is how you can add commands to Start and End Sequences.
(Again, caveat: this is for a Harmony Elite with Hub and iOS app; you should be able get something close with your remote and software):
On the iPad version of the iOS app “Harmony Control”, click the three-line menu (top left). Tap “Harmony Setup” -> “Add/Edit Devices & Activities” -> “Activities” -> [select your activity] -> “Edit Start Sequence” -> “ADD A STEP” -> [select a device and then a command. Then tap the top-right arrows to save the setting change. Then sync the remote. You can also “Edit End Sequence” similarly.

I haven’t tried adding a Setup1-9 command to start up. I have added soft buttons in Activities that load Setups, but the DAC asks you to acknowledge you want to do that by sending the command again. So I have to hit the button twice in a short period of time (in other words, when loading a Setup the DAC requires that the command be sent twice) so I think you would have to add two of the same Setupx commands to the Start Sequence.

Obviously be careful when building a Setup that outputs high volumes like 0dB since the Setup change is fast and you don’t want to blow out a set of headphones ;-)
———
Other recommendations: Build/Save/Test your ADI-2 DAC “Setups” using the DAC controls first. It takes some practice with encoders 1 and 2 (to select a new Setup, rename it, and save it) but eventually it becomes second nature.  Remember to adjust the volume before saving the Setup. Most everything gets saved in a Setup, so for example, if you turned off AutoDark to work on the settings menus, turn it back on if that is how you want the setup to work before saving the changes to the Setup.

Cheers,
Mike

Thank again Mike. I'll try that when I get back in front of everything. I have a feeling that a full volume setup might not be the best idea. As I'm sure you know, the Harmony sometimes misses a command since you have to hold the remote pointed at all the devices you are controlling for a number of seconds. It's actually user error I suppose, but it's pretty common, at least at my house. 
This is actually for speakers and no, I really don't want to blow out these speakers.

That seems to have worked fine. I did have to add the command twice. I also added a command during shutdown to return to setting 1 with a lower volume setting which I think adds a safety if the remote misses a command during an activity change or power on. I also mapped setting 1 to a soft button, so that I can quickly change it needed.

A nice feature is that I was able to turn off the loudness feature and enable auto dark when watching movies or TV. Pretty cool.