Topic: ADI-2/* AES/SPDIF vs USB

I have seen many suggestions to use ADI with a another interface. However, this would seem to introduce an extra stage of digital signal transmission as opposed to using ADI over USB. I would like to hear any objective and subjective opinions on this.

A similar question if there a difference in sound when connecting ADI over optical vs AES (assuming that there are no ground issues and cables are good).

Thanks,
TJ.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-01-30 21:21:01)

Re: ADI-2/* AES/SPDIF vs USB

There is no difference in digital transission whether you use ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI ...

Digital transmission is bit perfect (if you do not do any mistakes) and finally
ADI-2 Pro / DAC then perform D/A conversion with their own clock.

So you can integrate an ADI-2 Pro / DAC easily into any setup like I described in these blog articles:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

My setup is in brief:
UFX+ +-- AES ---------------------------------------------------------+----ADI-2 Pro FS BE--- Studio Monitors / Phones
         +-- MADI --- Octamic XTX
         +-- ADAT ---------------------------------------+ TOSLINK-
                              TV----------optical SPDIF ----+ SWITCHER +---ADI-2 DAC --- HiFi
                              BluRay --- optical SPDIF---- +

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses,
I have read a few of your posts, which are very helpful. Some of the articles would suggest that transmissions, such as SPDIF may not be perfect, but it would also depend on implementation. I have a similar setup with UFX, because I cannot work without TMFX I would have preferred all-in-one, smaller solution for what I do.

I wonder if anybody has actually compared sound from USB vs sound from an interface routed into ADI.

> I have read a few of your posts, which are very helpful. Some of the articles would suggest that transmissions,
> such as SPDIF may not be perfect, but it would also depend on implementation.

Don't remember to what you refer in particular, can you pls tell me where in which context ?
I only recommend, if possible, to use optical SPDIF to have galvanic isolation additionally.
Otherwise I do not tell or claim, that one digital transmission is better than the other.

The ADI-2 Pro/DAC at the end of the day uses Steadyclock technology to reduce jitter and uses his own FS clock to perform the D/A conversion. If the digital connection from source to destination was bit perfect, then any jitter which may have occurred somewhere is irrelevant because the digital data (sound) arrived completely and in good shape at the destination device.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

In this case it is simple...if it works glitch and click free it is perfect, be it usb optical or coax.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

In this case it is simple...if it works glitch and click free it is perfect, be it usb optical or coax.

If you turn down the volume of an audio application, then the ADI-2 * Bit perfect test fails.

Maybe a case "in between" .. as its up to a certain point inaudible because SNR is so high.

Perfect was not about the bit test, but about audio quality, perfect in the sense of,  as good as can be on this device.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

8 (edited by terabyte 2020-01-31 19:35:49)

ramses wrote:

> I have read a few of your posts, which are very helpful. Some of the articles would suggest that transmissions,

Don't remember to what you refer in particular, can you pls tell me where in which context ?

In the context of setup rather than connection quality. Thanks.

Edit:
I meant that I have read your posts in general smile not regarding quality of SPDIF.

terabyte wrote:
ramses wrote:

Sry I don't get your point.

Thanks everyone for a information. When we consider the wonderful RME implementation of clocks and transceivers, we should get perfect results. I have not had a chance to run the comparison myself yet, and I am waiting on ADI-2 FSR BE anyway. Interestingly, my bit perfect test has failed whether I am running it over USB, optical, or AES.

I would like to add that when setting up ADI to work with an interface, people often favor optical to avoid issues. However, RME AES I/O has transformers, so electrical issues should be less of a problem, if at all.

> Interestingly, my bit perfect test has failed whether I am running it over USB, optical, or AES.

Which sound driver do you use ?
Is the volume knob of your audio player at 100% ? If <100% then the bit perfect test fails.

terabyte wrote:
ramses wrote:

Edit:
I meant that I have read your posts in general smile not regarding quality of SPDIF.

Digital transmission is digital transmission. I never said somewhere that SPDIF has lower transmission quality.
Audio Bits and Bytes stay the same no matter what digital connection you use.

With the ADI-2 Pro / DAC you can validate with the bit perfect files.
If this does not work then something in your audio transmission is still not ok.
I made already a few suggestions where to look at.

I personally avoid coaxial SPDIF, optical SPDIF allows for longer cables and
delivers galvanic isolation at the same time.

ramses wrote:

> Interestingly, my bit perfect test has failed whether I am running it over USB, optical, or AES.

Which sound driver do you use ?
Is the volume knob of your audio player at 100% ? If <100% then the bit perfect test fails.

Thanks, I have made sure that the volume at 100%, but my schedule is super busy, so I will probably not have a chance to look into it until I will get PRO FSR BE. I think I am using Version 0.9700 Madi. Is the bit-test file only one version, or there are different versions too?

14 (edited by ramses 2020-02-05 18:07:59)

Simply download the zip then you will see.
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

ramses wrote:

Simply download the zip then you will see.
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

I appreciate the help. That is the one I have used. All my volumes, such as Windows, Player, TMFX are set to either 100 or 0. All processing is turned off before going into ADI-2 PRO FS, as far as I can see. If I have the same problem when I get the FSR BE, I will ask for help in a separate thread. I do not care too much for now.