Topic: Connecting two UFX+

Hello,
I have two UFX+ and I  am in need of connecting them because I need to control 16 analog outputs from a single computer.

Could you please tell me what is the right cable I need to use and to which ports?

Cheers

Re: Connecting two UFX+

One device clock master, the other clock slave.
Whether you use Word Clock or one of the digital ports for clock synchronization is up to you.
The DAW can access both devices via the same ASIO driver.
Ensure that both devices use the same ASIO buffer size.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your reply. Which cable I should buy exactly? Could you please provide a manufacturer and a model as well as a link where I could buy?

4 (edited by ramses 2020-02-01 12:42:12)

I wrote you already that it depends on your choice.
I can not tell you an optimal route for driving to XYZ, if you do not tell me if XYZ is the airport or a railway station.

You can clock via
- Word Clock
- AES
- ADAT1
- ADAT2
- MADI optical
- MADI coax

You must proceed on the principle of exclusion. If you don't want to use or reserve a particular digital port for any other purpose, and if the digital port is not connected to a device other than the 2nd UFX+, it would be available for clocking.

I would exclude / reserve i.e. ADAT2 because this is the only optical ADAT port supporting ADAT and SPDIF protocol.
If you might need to connect coaxial MADI devices, then you can't use the BNC connectors for Word Clock.

I would assume, that your two UFX+ devices are not connected to the same MADI bus, because this might have an impact on the automatic delay compensation feature depending on where in the MADI bus "chain/ring" you place the 2nd UFX+. So lets simply assume you would use two MADI busses separately as this also enables you to have two separate MADI channels (2x64 channels more). So we exclude MADI here for clock sync between the two UFX+. Of course you can use MADI for clock synching MADI devices like i.e. Octamic XTC that are connected to a particular MADI bus.

AES and ADAT2 port are bridged, see block diagram, so I would leave this out as well to make things not to complicated.

Another point, how is the distance of the two UFX+ to each other ? ADAT TOSLINK cable can be up to 15m maybe even 20m, but this is already outside of the usual standards if I remember right. WC cabling can be longer.

This you need to consider to draw a good decision.

Lets further assume (to come forward in the decision making process...)
- you do not need to clock sync even more devices to each other, thus that you have no master clock for WC
- the two UFX+ devices are close to each other, under 15m, maybe even in the same rack one underneath the other
- that a connection between both devices using ADAT1 "does not hurt"

Then simply buy this cable at a length of YOUR choice between 0,5 and 15m, I would choose 1m for more flexibiltiy:
https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm

Plug it between UFX+ #1 (Clock Master) ADAT1 OUT and UFX+ #2 (Clock Slave) ADAT 1 IN.
In the RME driver settings dialog set
UFX #1 to Clock Source "internal" (master)
UFX #2 to Clock source "ADAT1" (slave to clock signals read on ADAT1 IN port)

In the TAB "About" you can "determine" / "fixate" the sort order for all devices that are supported by the MADIface driver,
so for the two UFX+ and also other devices which could be added like ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, etc ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, thanks for your reply.
All I need is to have access from a single computer to the 16 analog outputs of the two UFX+.
They are at minimal distances, as they are on the same rack.
I don't need to synch any device other than the two soundcards.

So, I followed your suggestion but it does not work:

Plug it between UFX+ #1 (Clock Master) ADAT1 OUT and UFX+ #2 (Clock Slave) ADAT 1 IN.
In the RME driver settings dialog set
UFX #1 to Clock Source "internal" (master)
UFX #2 to Clock source "ADAT1" (slave to clock signals read on ADAT1 IN port)

To connect the two ADAT ports I am using the cable that comes in the box () and I can see that the second UFX+ somehow recognizes the input from the ADAT1 since on the front panel the corresponding LED is on.
Regarding the settings of the clock source, the only way to set the second soundcard is to plug it to the computer. Indeed otherwise in the panel "Fireface USB Settings" I can see only one interface.
However, doing this causes my audio programs (e.g. Pure Data) to see both soundcards and I am forced to select one of the two. Instead, I need to control from one single program both soundcards (in particular the analog output channels 1-8 from the first soundcard and channels 9-16 from the second)

Could you please suggest what should I do?

Thanks in advance

> Regarding the settings of the clock source, the only way to set the second soundcard is to plug it to the computer.
> Indeed otherwise in the panel "Fireface USB Settings" I can see only one interface.

Of course.

> However, doing this causes my audio programs (e.g. Pure Data) to see both soundcards

Yep.

> and I am forced to select one of the two.

Select ? Nope. You have two equal interfaces and your DAW is able to access both recording interfaces.
I also have two UFX+ and Cubase is able to access all channels of both interfaces.

> Instead, I need to control from one single program both soundcards (in particular the analog
> output channels 1-8 from the first soundcard and channels 9-16 from the second)

What do you mean by "One single program" ? The DAW or TotalMix FX ?

Fact is ...
- connect both interfaces via USB
- clock synch them as described
- make always sure that both interfaces are set to the same ASIO buffer size
- DAW can access all channels of both devices directly via MADIface ASIO driver
- You have two different TM FX instances, one for the primary, one for the secondary UFX+
- You can open one TM FX window per UFX+ instance or make all in one window, by selecting the unit you wanna work with
- On TotalMix FX level you can only perform any to any routing inside of one UFX+ device
- If you need to route channels across the two UFX+ devices, then you need to perform this in the DAW

Thanks.

> - make always sure that both interfaces are set to the same ASIO buffer size

I am not on windows but on mac. So I don't have Asio drivers... so?

I can only see one Window of the TM FX at the time, not two. ... why?

By "One single program" I mean the DAW or Pure Data / Max/MSP. I am actually using the latter two, not a DAW: from those programs I need to select an audio interface. I can see listed two of them, but I need to write a program that sends simultaneously audio signal to all the 16 channels.

What is the missing step I am not doing ?
By the way, I assume that there is no issue in the cable I am using. It is the optical cable that is shipped with the soundcards (Tosolink cable)

luca_niw wrote:

Thanks.

> - make always sure that both interfaces are set to the same ASIO buffer size

I am not on windows but on mac. So I don't have Asio drivers... so?

You could have mentioned that already in your first post. And save Ramses and all readers a lot of time.

luca_niw wrote:

TI can only see one Window of the TM FX at the time, not two. ... why?

TM FX is very flexible and allows you to switch between two interfaces, or open multiple windows instead. Described in the manual, although all one needs to do is check the available menu entries in TM FX...

luca_niw wrote:

TBy "One single program" I mean the DAW or Pure Data / Max/MSP. I am actually using the latter two, not a DAW: from those programs I need to select an audio interface. I can see listed two of them, but I need to write a program that sends simultaneously audio signal to all the 16 channels. What is the missing step I am not doing ?

The manual...Using multiple interfaces is described in the respective Mac chapter, function Aggregate Devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

> I am not on windows but on mac. So I don't have Asio drivers... so?

It's hard to believe that you could even think of mentioning it in this century. Great sausage.

> It's hard to believe that you could even think of mentioning it in this century. Great sausage.

I don't really get what you mean...  sarcasm? Not really funny.

Thanks to the administrator for the tip of checking the manual, which I will do shortly.

I also didn't find it funny that you suddenly took it for granted that you were using Apple and therefore didn't have ASIO. You really could have mentioned this earlier after my first post.

Is it that fundamental to use Windows for the problem at hand? I have been using RME products for 15 years, both on windows and mac. And to be hionest almost 10 years ago I was connecting without problems 2 firefaces 800 via a firewire cable, using a mac. Now, the question is: can I use the 2 UFX+ connected and using a Mac? My understanding is yes, although today I could not solve the issue. Not sure however what mac-specific driver I should use, if any (?).
Tomorrow I will read the manual, but reading at the posts on this thread it is not yet clear to me what one using a mac has to do. I followed the steps. And I don't have Asio drivers, not clear why they are so important.As far as this matter is concerned, RME should be working on both Mac and Windows. Right?

It does. But connecting two UFX+ will throw up some resource problems due to the high number of channels (also described in the manual), which need to be taken care of.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME