Topic: Babyface Pro: USB Host Midi to Din5 adapter advantageous?

Interface: RME Babyface Pro FS
Midi-Keyboard: Korg Microkey 61 Air
Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13-4103ng, Core i7-6500U
Software: Stand-alone Keyscape / Reaper
Use-case: live-performance and -recording

Dear community and support Team,

is it technically beneficial investing in a adapter USB-to-Din5 to connect a USB-only master keyboard straight into the Babyface Pro?

example for an adapter:
USB-Host-Midi2: http://compasflamenco.com/usb-host-midi-p-6.html
total cost of ~86€:

May I kindly ask you to answer and comment on my list, if my assumptions of using a USB-Midi Host are wrong.

Pro:
+ stability: no extra driver from Korg needs to be installed at all -> less "chunk"
+ stability: using the Midi-In of the Babyface Pro makes me relying only on drivers of RME -> lower risk of sudden failure
+ latency: less USB-connections to my laptop -> lower ISRs and DPCs
+ latency: Babyface handles Midi better (e.g. jitter?) than USB-Midi
+ latency: no data exchange/dependecies within DAW between drivers of RME and Korg

Con:
- lower bandwidth of Din5: Din5 may introduce jitter after conversion of USB-Midi data?
- negligible benefits: no one of you ever experienced stability or latency problems caused by USB-Midi
- Process Lasso is free of cost: is it possible to assign Babyface and the USB-Midi to different cores, resulting in no ISR/DPC interference of RME and Korg?

Many thanks in advance,
LG

Re: Babyface Pro: USB Host Midi to Din5 adapter advantageous?

I would try the USB connection first. This has been the default standard implementation for many years now, and I don't see why it shouldn't work. If you get issues with that you can still de-install and try the expensive adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME