1 (edited by ramses 2020-03-03 17:54:56)

Topic: LatencyMon and Windows 10 1909

Does somebody know whats the issue with Windows 10 1909 ?

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 1909 (because Win7 support has been ended by M$)
I am getting regular and relatively long audio outages of more than half a second
hen playing back music through MusicBee and foobar2000 on an otherwise IDLE system
using the RME ASIO driver (UFX+).

This happens in time intervals of around 15 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Its not the typical crackling, a really long audio outage of more than half a second.

When looking at LatencyMon 6.71 kernel latency measurings, then I see permanently a change between 19, 25 and 1000 microseconds. Every 3rd value is around 1000 microseconds which is a lot.
Under win7 my systems kernel latency timer was permanently below 80 microseconds, mostly between 2 and 20 microseconds.

Does somebody else made same expernience ? Is Windows 10 1909 so buggy ?
Or does this time the upgrade installation fail, which in the past worked very well ?

Windows 10 1909
MusicBee 3.3.7115
foobar 1.5
MADIface USB driver 0.9700, UFX+ SW version 42
ASIO Buffersizes 32 / 128
UFX+ is connected to Sonnet Allegro Pro, the old model of PCIe card with 4x FL1100 USB3 chip on board.
Xenon 1650v3, Supermicro X10SRi-F, 32 GB DRAM, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X Trio

As testing is so time consuming I did not get ironed out the root cause of this.
All that I can tell, that this never happened under Win7 also not after changing GPU from GTX 980 to RTX 2070 Super.
Ok, could of course still be a driver issue.

Before everybody says .. fresh installation .. is there somebody with fresh installation and having the same issues ?
How are your LatencyMon results if you change preferences to test with "kernel latency timer" ?

Many thanks for your kind support upfront.

Any proposals to iron out quickly in what area this could be ?
Maybe removing nVidia driver and using M$ VESA / standard driver and re-measure with LatencyMon to exclude nVidia driver in the 1st place ? I chanded to nVidia Studio Driver: v431.70 last recently because of connecting a wide gamut monitor, but gave it back. Now back to normal monitor, but kept this driver in the hope, that it gives more quality, as it doesn't get so many changes.

X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro20H2, Cub11Pro, UFX+ (v0.9734), XTC, 12Mic, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE


Re: LatencyMon and Windows 10 1909

Default in LatMon is 'Interrupt to user process latency', and that is what I always use. The option Kernel Latency Timer produces a confusing and very high constant 13.000 microseconds latency on my laptop. Based on that you don't have a problem...

Matthias Carstens

3 (edited by ramses 2020-03-04 09:19:51)

Re: LatencyMon and Windows 10 1909

EDIT: thanks for the update Matthias.

I will continue measuring now in the proposed mode.

It seems to be fine now when using the Energy Profile High performance aka Höchstleistung.

I am not 100% sure now, whether the audio outages happened to me in High performance or Balanced Mode.

Balanced mode I tweaked for me in my setup to
- use only the main cores, park the hyperthreads
- run at 2.5 Ghz instead of 3.5 GHz

Maybe this was better possible under Win7 and not under Win10...
I need to continue to observe.

This would explain why I didn't have outages in Cubase but when using MusicBee.
In Cubase I use Steinbergs Energy scheme.

When playing music in MusicBee, then I use usually balanced power profile.
Maybe the Process Lasso Pro IDLE saver even kicked in and led to power saving automatically.

So it could be, that this is related to my special setup.
Maybe I have to ensure to have Balanced mode for audio playback active and maybe to give it a higher clock.

Thanks .. with that I can continue to work / measuring and to find again a good setting for me.

For all the others, I hope I didn't confuse you, my setting is a little bit special, because I am using Process Lasso Pros featurs, to enter the Power Profiles depending on what processes are running and otherwise to automatically switch to energy saving if the user is not doing anything, but this only for normal processes. Cubase is fine.
I think I forgot that I have still a certain gap here when using MusicBee to listen to music ...

To sum up .. when listening to Audio ensure that you are using the energy profile: "Höchstleistung" / "High Performance"

X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro20H2, Cub11Pro, UFX+ (v0.9734), XTC, 12Mic, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE