Topic: RME FIREFACE UFX-II clock question

Until now I had a RME FIREFACE UFXII and =4= RayDATs in my setup. All of them were synced with an external clock (MUTEC).
However, from now on I will use only the RME FireFace UFX-II and =1= RayDAT.

My question is, do I really need an external clock (MUTEC in my case) or the internal clock of the RME FIREFACE UFX-II is good enough to sync the RayDAT?

Re: RME FIREFACE UFX-II clock question

No need for external clock....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by vinark 2020-03-09 17:46:09)

For other readers, RME steadyclock is very good at jitter rejection. So you only need an external master clock device when you physically need it, in other words, when it is practical. As long as you can get it synced up with adat and spdif cables  and suplied WC connectors on the gear itself all is fine. Better see it as clock distribution. Sometimes a central clock is more practical in a big studio, but it is never to increase audio quality. Degradation of audio quality because of external clocking can happen, but is not a result of the sending clock but at the receiving device (if it is a poor or cheap design) and there is nothing you can do about that, not even sending a perfect clock if that were possible.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Dear Daniel and Vincent,
Thank you for the clear answers!

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.