Topic: Simultaneous REAMP with 802

Hey guys, I've scoured the internet and this forum for a hopeful answer to this question but have not found any. In my head, the solution I'm trying to achieve should be doable but perhaps it just isn't.

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

-Electric guitar is plugged DI into my Avalon which routes to the Fireface 802 (ANALOG input 4).
-Within Pro Tools, I set up a hardware output send to ANALOG output 8 on the Fireface (for reamping) so that while I track guitars (with a software amp for monitoring), I am getting a reamped signal from my Engl at the same time.
-The send I created to analog 8 shows up in Total Mix, it is getting the correct signal. But from there, it is not actually outputting to the amp (therein lies my problem). I've tried a few cables and made sure the output in Total Mix is set to +4 or -10
-From the amp, the output of the amp will go to my Torpedo Live (ANALOG input 1), which is again going into another input on my Fireface 802

Is this even a possibility? I feel that it should be but for some reason, none of the ANALOG 8 output is actually going out to the amp, despite the fact that I see the signal in Total Mix on Analog 8. I have a great A/B/Y pedal if I need to do it that way to split the signal but I feel like I shouldn't need it with such a powerful interface. Thanks in advance!

Re: Simultaneous REAMP with 802

Hello!

To your question, of course it's doable!
Most probably, it 's a software output fader, you need to raise!

In TotalMix, click on Analog Output 8(so that it becomes highlighted)
then check the second row(Software Outputs) to see where you 're getting the DI guitar signal (analog 7/8, I guess),
then raise the fader up! (also, check if it is muted)

(Irrelevant Sidenote: ENGL Amps rule!!)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Just re-read your post, and I saw that you are, actually, seeing the signal in the correct output! Is the fader raised for that output?

Also, you need to be using a re-amp box between the output and your amp, because your 802's output is balanced, and your amp needs an instrument-level line signal.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-04-13 10:11:26)

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Also, you need to be using a re-amp box between the output and your amp, because your 802's output is balanced, and your amp needs an instrument-level line signal.

Sure? The analog outputs of the 802 are servosymmetric. They automatically recorgnize balanced (TRS) and non-balanced connections (TS). Three different line levels are supported, you need to check what the amp needs.
On my Marshall JCM 900 I have to use -10dBV (consumer level) on the amps inputs and in the effect loop.

I am also using a RME recording interface to record and route the pure guitar signal, which also allows reamping.
The only difference is, that I am using hardware effects.

Two blog articles showing my setup, if you are interested:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1859-01-UFX-for-Guitar-Rig-png/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hey, Ramses!

Thanks for the clarification!
I know that the outputs accept unbalanced cables. My concern with the re-amping box was more for impedance matching.

The 802's Output Impedance is 30 Ohms(as I found out). Typically, a guitar's output impedance is around 1.5 KOhm and an amp's input impedance is around 1 MOhm. So, there shouldn't be a problem connecting it directly to an amp with an instrument cable(and -10dBV setting)!

Maybe the OP used a balanced cable? And that's why he didn't get sound from the amp?(apart from raising the appropriate fader in TM, if that was the case)

By the way, that's a great setup you have! And also, a very informative blog article!
Myself, I'm using impulse responses with an ENGL E530 Tube Preamp connected to my beloved Korg Kronos(via line input) to the DigiFace USB(via Optical SPDIF). That way I can use the Kronos' effects for guitar, as well !

Yeah, thanks, lets see wink
BTW .. I played a few times with an Engl Sovereign 1x12" 100W Amp from a friend on stage for a few songs.
What a great sound and much power .. this amp is an animal smile

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

They 're all animals! big_smile big_smile

So much clarity and definition, without losing in raw power!! I don't know how they do it, but I thank them for it!! smile
Haven't tried the Sovereign, myself, but heard it in youtube videos!
Another one I tried is the Powerball !