1 (edited by ps-audio 2020-04-13 17:19:31)

Topic: [Solved] RayDat crashes Samplitude and Sequoia MIDI projects

Hello everyone,

I´m new here, but not a newbie to RME. I´m encountering a problem I never seen before on my older PC systems.

System Specs:
ASUS Prime Z390-P
Intel Core i9-9900KS Special Edition
No Graphics Card
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler
650W ARLT Efficiency ATX Power Supply 80+%
Midi Tower be quiet! Pure base 600
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - 3000 (2x 16GB)
M.2 2280 M.2 (PCIe 3.0) SSD (System)
Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Samples)
2x Audio HD 1TB
RME RayDat

DAWs:
Sequoia 14
Samplitude ProX4 Suite
Sequoia 15
Sequoia 16 (latest beta)
Presonus Studio One Pro 4

Audio Interface:
RME RayDat (latest driver 4.29 and firmware revision 16)
2x ADI-2
2x Ferrofish A-16 AE

Problem:
- Everything audio is working fine.
- Samplitude and Sequoia projects with MIDI-Files and VSTi´s crash, as long as the DAW Monitoring engine is set to Hybrid Engine. When I set the DAWs Monitoring engine to Track FX Monitoring everything is working fine.
- This happens in ALL versions of Samplitude and Sequoia
- This does NOT happen in Presonus Studio One, but there´s no such thing a s a Hybrid engine anyway.

What exactly happens:
- make sure Sequoia´s Hybrid Engine is active
- open a project in Sequoia or Samplitude with a MIDI-File in it and some VSTi´s loaded, also some audio tracks.
- set play cursor a couple of beats before the first objects
- hit play

---> PROBLEM: after hitting the first objects Sequoia crashes. It get´s stuck in a sort of playbackloop, metering gets stuck, sequoia freezes up completely. At this point you can hear something like a "loop" with some samples of the sound that was about to be played. It´s pulsating, like "ssshhh...ssshhh...ssshhh...". You can see it in the metering of Total Mix. When you open the Task Manager you can see that Sequoia is using up to 100% CPU now. The only way to close Sequoia at this stage  is to terminate it in the Task Manager.

Workarounds for the moment:
1) Set Sequoias monitoring Engine to anything but Hybrid Engine, like for example Track FX Monitoring. This makes flawless playback possible with all MIDI left in the project as it is.
2) Keep Hybrid Engine, but freeze all tracks with MIDI and VSTis in them. This also makes flawless playback possible.

Some further findings:
- when the project is openend with Hybrid engine "on" and I do NOT hit playback, then I can freeze all the tracks and play back.
- Usually , after a crash, when you re-load the project, Sequoia just opens the dialog with it´s backup projects. In this case it opens with a dialog saying that it crashed while using this ASIO-driver, asking me if I want to continue using it.
- Activating and deactivating WDM devices does not make a difference.
- Changing latency does not make a difference
- Changing system setting in Sequoia (like object buffersetc...) does not make a difference.
- This also happens with other ASIO drivers, like for example Fireface UC.

I appreciate any help to get this working

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2 (edited by ramses 2020-04-13 17:27:32)

Re: [Solved] RayDat crashes Samplitude and Sequoia MIDI projects

> Samplitude and Sequoia projects with MIDI-Files and VSTi´s crash, as long as the DAW Monitoring engine
> is set to Hybrid Engine. When I set the DAWs Monitoring engine to Track FX Monitoring everything is working fine.
> This happens in ALL versions of Samplitude and Sequoia
> This does NOT happen in Presonus Studio One, but there´s no such thing a s a Hybrid engine anyway.

Because of this it looked more like an application problem to me, because of the hybrid engine.
But then you told this... Hmmm

> Does not happen with any other ASIO driver, like for example Fireface UC

Are you really sure that you performed the same testing ?
Could it perhaps still be an application problem in terms of settings ?

I found i.e. an information (translated from German) "that the VIP objectbuffer size needs to be at minimum as large as the ASIO buffersize and if you use the Hybrid Engine then even double as large in size."

Are you sure that you sticked to this and maybe also other configuration rules, when you were testing ?

I do now know Sequoia and this hybrid mode well but when looking into the web, then there seem to be many configuration possibilities. There seem to be two modes:
- Hardware Monitoring/Hybrid Engine and
- Mixer FX Monitoring/Hybrid Engine

Which one do you use ?
Are you sure you tested always with the same settings ?

I ask this, as it could still be an application problem as Sequioa has so many settings and
maybe this made the difference in terms of testing with the UC ... could also be only a configuration problem .. who knows.

Fact is, that other DAWs do not seem to have any issue ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses,

thank you for trying to help.

I did find the problem, but it is really on the DAW side. It´s a on-board sample player called VITA. It took me a while to find out, but it only crashes the projects in this way when you load up more than one instance of the VSTi. I replaced it with other samplers, even another stock one, and it works perfectly fine.

So this is solved, and now I need to report it to Magix.

greetings

Paul.

Cool, good that you found it and thanks for reporting back.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13