1 (edited by constellation 2020-04-14 10:49:42)

Topic: Synths / drum machine to FF UC: which cables to which input?

Good morning forum.

After being experimenting with synthesisers and drum machines, I am finally trying to setup my first very humble music corner in my very little apartment.

I am learning some basics of music recording, and despite some researches I did in the internet and in this forum, I still have some doubts about how I should connect my instruments to my audio interface.

I have a RME Fireface UC, and I' like to connect to it a Prophet REV2, a Minitaur and an Analog Rytm.

From the manuals:
– Prophet REV2 has 2 unbalanced 1/4 inch audio outputs
– Minitaur has 1 unbalanced 1/4 inch audio output
– Analog Rytm: for Main Outs L/R they say "use either 1/4” mono phone plug (unbalanced connection) or 1/4” (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) phone plug (balanced connection)" and for individual drum voices "use 1/4” insert/Y cable to access both voices of each output"

I was thinking about connecting:
– the rev2 outputs to the "INST/LINE" inputs (channels 3/4) of the Fireface
– the Minitaur output to a "MIC/LINE" input (channel 1 or 2)
– The main outs + two individual drum voices to the four REAR LINE INPUTS

From the Fireface manual:
– INST/LINE: "Inputs 3/4, INST/LINE, accept both a balanced line signal as well as an unbalanced instrument signal via 1/4" TRS plug.", and "The electronic input stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly, automatically adjusting the level reference. When using unbalanced cables with TRS jacks: be sure to connect the 'ring' contact of the TRS jack to ground. Otherwise noise may occur, caused by the unconnected negative input of the balanced input."
– MIC/LINE: "The Neutrik combo jacks of the Mic/Line inputs can be used via XLR and 1/4" TRS plugs." and "The two combo jacks also allow for the usage of mono and stereo TRS jacks."
– LINE INPUTS: "The analog line inputs of the Fireface UC can be used with +4 dBu and -10 dBV signals. The electronic input stage can handle balanced (XLR, TRS jacks) and unbalanced (TS jacks) input signals correctly."

and in the "quick start" guide: "After the driver installation connect the TRS jacks or the XLR jacks with the analog signal source."

This is pretty confusing to me.

My questions are:

1. Assuming I want to connect everything directly to the Fireface without any DI-box, is it Ok to go simply with (< 6ft) TS cables for everything?

2. Can I connect the Minitaur output to the MIC/LINE input of the Fireface with a TS cable? I can't understand if the audio interface is Ok with this.. It talks just about "TRS mono and stereo" cables. Or should I use a TRS cable even if the synth provides unbalanced signal? Or a TS > XLR cable? (but it's not clear to me how this last could work...)

3. Does the INST/LINE accepts TS jacks as well? And also, is it the same thing if I connect the rev2 to the INST/LINES channels or in the REAR LINE channels? Or does it changes the sound?

4. I can't find anywhere if the Rytm individual outputs are balanced or unbalanced. After reading the elektronauts forum, I assume those are unbalanced.
So I have balanced main outputs and unbalanced individual outputs. Should I use two TRS cables and one Y cable (TRS > x2 TS?)? Will the sound be different (louder for the TRS and -6dB for the TS?), so should I use instead TS cables for the main outs?

Thank you very much for your help..!

Re: Synths / drum machine to FF UC: which cables to which input?

Up! sad

No one?

Yes all TS cables will work perfect, also with longer lengths. Of course for the individual outs of the rhythm you need insert cables as it is 2 instrument outputs per physical output as the company states (one on tip and one on ring of a trs plug).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Yes all TS cables will work perfect, also with longer lengths. Of course for the individual outs of the rhythm you need insert cables as it is 2 instrument outputs per physical output as the company states (one on tip and one on ring of a trs plug).

Thank you very much! So, even the mic/line can handle TS connectors (and not TRS)?

constellation wrote:
vinark wrote:

Thank you very much! So, even the mic/line can handle TS connectors (and not TRS)?

? up

AFAIK yes of course, as I said all TS id good, but all these things are in the manual.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632