Topic: Loopback routing for remote recording Skype

Hi
Im doing remote voice over recordings with the clients on Skype and Im trying work out whether Im 'doubling up' on my signal and/or monitor signal into Logic where the takes are being recorded. My Mic is coming in on AN 5.  I monitor on my headphones coming out of 7-8. 

The only loopback that seems to work with Skype is using AN 1-2 (which is my main out so Ive been turning off the speakers during sessions).  Something tells me Ive not got this routing right yet as the gain staging I use coming into TM from the preamp is radically changing from when Im not recording with Skype. 

PS Ive take a snap shot of the setup but can't work out how to upload it.

Fireface ucx, IMac i7 (2011), genelec 8030, Logic Pro X 10.06

Re: Loopback routing for remote recording Skype

Loopback on channel AN 1-2 is the only solution I know. It is because skype and other consumer apps won't let you choose the input channel but always use 1-2.

However it is no problem. Just use another output (e.g. 3-4) for your main outs. I do it like this for years now and it's working perfect. Just route the main out (1-2) from the submix channels to your hardware main outs (e.g. 3-4) and you're there.

Thanks Deek.  I certainly can confirm that behaviour.  I can only get my mic to play thru to Skype if I loopback on hardware output 1/2.  I guess what I don't get is how Skype knows/looks for the hardware output 1-2 rather than just the software output 1/2.

Fireface ucx, IMac i7 (2011), genelec 8030, Logic Pro X 10.06

I think Skype isn't looking for any output but only for the inputs - that's the point. And I know no other way to feed the desired signal to INPUT 1-2. You have to use the output 1-2 for this scenario.

5 (edited by msikio 2020-09-24 21:46:00)

Hello,

I'm on Windows 10 pro and Skype, both recently updated.

I can't get the sound of the microphone into Skype. I tried analog input 9 (XLR1), I tried analog input 1 (via a preamp), I tried to looback via an unused hardware output. Each time I select the correct input in Skype audio parameters. Unfortunately it doesn't work, the audio signal never enters skype.

What puzzles me is the fact skype is correctly listing all the inputs and outputs from the UFX.

Does that means it only work using loopback with hardwdare output AN1/2 ?

Thanks it advance !

Skype recognizes all my UFX outputs. I use Outputs 5&6 and enable loopback on those outputs. Any Input channel can then be routed to those outputs. You can listen to your mix being sent to skype by hitting the cue button on the output you choose (5&6 for me). If your listening through headphones you can assign which output the cue sends the mix too. By default, I believe it's 1&2.  I use headphones 1 so by the master fader find the assign button and switch it to wherever you want. make sure you don't have your computer sound (playback channel 11&12) routed through your loopback channel and to turn off the cue button when on skype.