1 (edited by justins 2020-04-23 02:06:35)

Topic: Is is possible to disable the XLR outputs?

Hello,

I have my RME ADI-2 DAC fs hooked up to my Genelecs via the XLR Outputs. I also have a sweet tube headphone amp connected to the RCAs for late night listening. Rather than having to run around and turn the Genelecs off or unplug the XLR cables, is it possible to disable the XLR outputs on the ADI-2 Dac?

I tired an inexpensive passive pre in between the Genelecs and the RME but found that it changed the sound.

It would be very convenient if there was a way to disable the XLR outputs but continue feeding the RCA outputs.

I dug through the forums and manual and did not see anything about this. Forgive me if I missed it.

I would appreciate any input you might have. If it is not possible, I'll save up for a Goldpoint or something like that.

Thanks. - J

2 (edited by N00b 2020-04-23 08:29:48)

Re: Is is possible to disable the XLR outputs?

Hi Justins!
I think it is not possible on the ADI-2 DAC to mute one of the line output without muting the other.

One solution could be to use one of the jack in front of the unit to connect your phone amp, with « Toggle Phone/Line » activated on the DAC...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:

Hi Justins!
I think it is not possible on the ADI-2 DAC to mute one of the line output without muting the other.

One solution could be to use one of the jack in front of the unit to connect your phone amp, with « Toggle Phone/Line » activated on the DAC...

Yep and the reason for this is that the ADI-2 Pro has two different D/A converters, thats why you can use e.g.
- two different phones  or
- speakers and phones
with completely different volume and EQ settings.

The ADI-2 DAC has only 1 D/A converter.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
N00b wrote:

Hi Justins!

Yep and the reason for this is that the ADI-2 Pro has two different D/A converters, thats why you can use e.g.
- two different phones  or
- speakers and phones
with completely different volume and EQ settings.

The ADI-2 DAC has only 1 D/A converter.

Yes maybe but that’s not very relevant here: with the DAC, possible to use the XLR rear outputs for the monitors, the front jack for the late listening and to toggle between the two.
Justins doesn’t want to use both at the same time from what I’ve understood.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

justins wrote:

Hello,

I have my RME ADI-2 DAC fs hooked up to my Genelecs via the XLR Outputs. I also have a sweet tube headphone amp connected to the RCAs for late night listening. Rather than having to run around and turn the Genelecs off or unplug the XLR cables, is it possible to disable the XLR outputs on the ADI-2 Dac?
It would be very convenient if there was a way to disabled the XLR outputs but continue feeding the RCA outputs.

A switched power strip for the Genelecs lets you remotely power them down.

Cost - almost nothing.
Unwanted sideeffects - non, nothing placed into the audio path.

KaiS wrote:

A switched power strip for the Genelecs lets you remotely power them down.

Cost - almost nothing.
Unwanted sideeffects - non, nothing placed into the audio path.

Ahhh brilliant. Yes, of course. Thank-you. @KaiS. This is what I will do.