Topic: usb the card does not turn on

MACBOOK PRO 2019 - I HAVE INSTALLED THE DRIVERS AND THE POWER SUPPLY WORKS CORRECTLY - WITHOUT THE POWER SUPPLY THE BOARD DOES NOT TURN ON, the USB does not power the board?

Re: usb the card does not turn on

Which RME device ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

excuse me.....FIREFACE UCX

Did you follow these instructions? https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG … ion_EN.pdf

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yes, sorry, for my question.....I think the audio interface works correctly, in fact with the power supply you can see and record, without power supply the card does not turn on and therefore total mix does not work ..... is it possible to use the card without the power supply? and only with the usb port?

No, the UCX needs external power for USB. In some cases you can use bus power when connecting via FireWire instead.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

amazing not being able to use a USB powered ... sorry what does it mean that firewire in some cases does it? can you tell me the limits? and how to connect with a new macbook pro? I have not found cables ....

8 (edited by ramses 2020-04-24 06:26:37)

With USB 2.0, 2.5 watts are allowed. That means, at 5 Volt the devices are allowed to draw 500 mA current. This is sufficient for keyboards, mice and USB sticks. But not for external hard drives or recording interfaces.

The power supply via FireWire is specified with 1.5 ampere at 8 to 33 volts. External hard disks or not too big recording interfaces like the UCX can therefore be operated without a separate power supply on a six- or nine-pin FireWire port without any problems.

Only recording interfaces which are designed for mobility and optimized to consume less power can be powered via USB, like the RME Babyface Pro, but not a RME UCX which is already a very capable recording interface offering a lot of ports and features.

> how to connect with a new macbook pro

Depending on whether you have the 13" or 16" model you have 2 or 4 Thunderbolt 3 USB-C connectors.

Being PC user I can give you only this information which I found on macworld.
I can't tell you whether the one or other connection method (it seems 3 are possible) has advantages or disadvantages to operat an UCX:

https://www.macworld.com/article/313658 … -more.html

What I found in this article:
- combination dock which gives you also other port types
- specific adapter to connect one USB type A device
- usb hub, which allows to connect more USB Type A devices

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thanks for your endurance