Topic: Gain of TotalMix FX is changing by itself

I am using a Babyface combined with a Macbook Pro late 2014 MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
and for the software TotalMix FX and Fireface USB driver i have used already several versions v.3.15, v.3.18, v.3.19
and all are giving the same problem
changing of the gain of both inputs independently within TotalMix FX all by it self at random moments
which makes proper recordings impossible to do

Does anyone know where this problem is coming from or how to solve this
looking forward to some advice

Re: Gain of TotalMix FX is changing by itself

What apps are you using? Zoom, MS Teams, anything like that?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have used Zoom over the last month indeed.
Could that be the problem?

Try a similar application for comparison ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Zoom preference has a check box to disable auto mic gain.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I never have Zoom running at the same time, Is it still running in the background?
With Skype I have never had this problem so far.

As far as i know i don't have other apps running with acces to the input mic level.

Hi,
I jumped on that train in hope to solve that problem.
I'm a professional speaker for audiobooks, image movie and other voice over recordings.

As DAW I use logic pro X on my imac 21,5 and a Babyface pro.
The BF is acting only as interface as I use an external preamp for my recordings.
Whenever I start a program for online sessions the gain in totalmix hops up which results in overload
and terrible feedback. I use skype or session link pro.
It appears only when you start the program. I had some embarrassing moments with clients
when we did recordings with live directing. All auto gain settings in skype or sesseion link are deactivated.
I never could pinpoint what is setting the gain up?

I'm thinking about switching to a Fireface UC which has seperated line ins instead
of the merged Line ins of the BF who are sending the signal through the internal preamps
which act as Line ins when gain is set on zero.

Thanks and sorry for hijacking this thread
Alex

Jeff wrote:

Zoom preference has a check box to disable auto mic gain.

I disabled it, but the problem is still here. I'm wondering if zoom controls all audio from my mac in the background.

Update, I was fed up with it. Even the RME support couldn't help though the problem is well known.
I sold the babyface pro and switched to a Fireface where I use an ext. preamp into the Line input.
No hassles anymore with Totalmix gain. Also I believe that the preamps in the babyface are not so neutral even with the gain on zero. I have audible differences in my recordings.

10 (edited by ramses 2020-05-13 08:15:30)

> and switched to a Fireface

Which Fireface so that its better understandable what devices you compare to each other.

In terms of audible differences ... how long does it take for you in your setup
to switch between the two setups to make an A/B comparison ?

You know that human brain can not remember audio for longer than 1-2 seconds, which makes it necessary
to be able to perform quick A/B checks...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is super annoying and I can confirm that it is happening in google meet.  Anyway to stop this?

RME Babyface Pro, Mac Mini M1 Big sur latest

It's also happening to me. It's quite annoying particularly as it's intermittent and I can't predict when it will be happening.

BabyFace Pro FS, iMac 27" 2019, MacOS 11.2.3 Big Sur, MS-Teams 1.4. There is no auto-gain option in MS-Teams.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p159206

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME