Topic: UFX Setup Select "Invalid!" (Video link provided)

Hi just wondering what might be up with this... am I doing something wrong?

https://youtu.be/gPAA4-aus0k

Re: UFX Setup Select "Invalid!" (Video link provided)

Did you save this preset yourself? I so, did you update firmware since then? Otherwise, I don't really have an explanation. Can you save something to this setup slot?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Did you ever use Reverb and Echo? And do they work right now?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I can confirm this issue in Class Compliant mode under Manjaro Linux. OP's video demonstrates the exact steps I've attempted: Storing a new preset at the device appears successful, reporting "Done." Loading any preset fails with "invalid!" message whether a new preset is saved in CC mode at the device or under TotalMix on Win7.

Are you both aware that Setups are empty from the factory? Loading such an empty Setup therefore causes the Invalid! message (we should have named that 'Empty'). You need to save the current state either directly or via TotalMix FX into a Setup slot (not Snapshot, not Workspace...). Loading such a state then would no longer issue the Invalid message.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias thanks for the reply.

My unit is confirmed damaged. Reverb and echo don’t work, they make a crazy sound when I try to use them. Durec doesn’t work either.

Why did you ask about reverb? Does that functionality share the same ‘process’ (I don’t know if that’s the right word) as the snapshot function? It would be helpful to confirm which functions share this besides durec and send effects, so there are no more surprises.

This unit still meets my needs. All the preamps, converters, ins and outs, eq and dynamics, they are all working just fine.

The DSP operates like a microcontroller and also handles settings and storage of them, plus the USB for DURec. So when no Echo/Reverb work anymore then other functionality will be affected as well - sooner or later.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Are you both aware that Setups are empty from the factory?

Yes. Have you watched OP's video? In any case, reverb doesn't appear to work for me, either.

I'm looking at purchasing a not-inexpensive optical preamp to expand inputs, can I safely assume that ADAT lightpipe will NOT be affected by this issue? It seems to be the only way I can accomplish anything approaching recall if setups can't be loaded.

SilkSow wrote:

Have you watched OP's video? In any case, reverb doesn't appear to work for me, either.

Where does that video show that a non-empty Setup is stored? Storing an empty Setup on a different empty Setup slot will not make it less empty...

SilkSow wrote:

I'm looking at purchasing a not-inexpensive optical preamp to expand inputs, can I safely assume that ADAT lightpipe will NOT be affected by this issue?

All I/Os will continue working. In a later stage we expect other DSP functions like EQ and Dynamics to fail as well, but so far we have never had such a failing unit on our (repair) tables, nor got such a report.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Storing an empty Setup on a different empty Setup slot will not make it less empty...

Maybe I don't understand how setups work? I assumed that however the unit was presently configured would be stored, is that not right? It was my impression that, for example, if I set the gain of mic input 9 to 32dB and store to preset slot 1, then change the gain to 33dB and load preset 1, the channel will be set back to 32dB.

MC wrote:

All I/Os will continue working.

Thank you, Matthias. No regrets here, the UFX was the last interface I've had to buy after a series of prosumer disappointments that didn't last a fraction of the troublefree years I've had with this unit. I've recommended RME many times over the years and will continue to do so.

It's Setup, not Preset, and yes, it should work like that. But we cleared that already. Broken units might no longer store Setups.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME