Topic: Babyface power supply - possible damage to Babyface

Hi,

i have had some noise issues on the input to my original Babyface (although not when sending signals to it over ADAT). I thought the noise might be due to the USB bus power I am using so thought I would try a 12V power supply. Unfortunately I stupidly connected a 12V AC supply to it for a few seconds before realising my mistake. It still works fine with bus power but when I tried another power supply, a 12V DC one, it doesn't turn on. It may be that the connector isn't the right size but I wanted to check whether I may have damaged the 12V power side of it somehow? Again, it still works fine with bus power.

Any help much appreciated.

Re: Babyface power supply - possible damage to Babyface

The original Babyface uses a simple polarity protection by a serial Diode B340A directly at the DC input. Therefore the unit will even work with an AC power supply (some hum added). I see no obvious reason why AC12V destroyed something in the unit, unless the voltage was higher than expected. Anyway, if it doesn't turn on now the unit needs repair.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, that is reassuring - will try another PSU.

Matthias, just to check - does the Babyface turn on with the external power supply if it is not connected by USB? I am guessing yes as it should work in standalone mode.

5 (edited by oktorockto 2020-04-29 07:51:13)

OK, I found the answer fromt he manual. Would be nice to be able to know my external supply is working properly though:

'The Babyface features automatic power on/off for the external power socket, steered by the
presence of USB power......For stand-alone mode use USB bus power instead of the external power supply. Simply plug
the USB cable into any suitable USB power supply (like the charger for iPhone or iPad).'