Topic: UFX+ Driver and Flash Update question: Thunderbolt vs USB

Hi all.
Re. the UFC+ Flash update: I currently use a Thunderbolt connection but have noticed that there's a more recent Flash update for USB.  Given that I'm only using Thunderbolt at the moment, should I also run the USB update?

Re. the UFX+ drivers: as mentioned, I'm currently using a Thunderbolt connection but am wondering if it's possible to install both Thunderbolt and USB drivers in case I need to connect via USB at some stage.  Or can you only have one type of driver installed at any given time?

Cheers
Gary

2 (edited by ramses 2020-05-11 05:41:00)

Re: UFX+ Driver and Flash Update question: Thunderbolt vs USB

Based on my experience with UFX (which had USB and Firewire) and by looking at the manual and software download section:

> Given that I'm only using Thunderbolt at the moment, should I also run the USB update?

Other RME interfaces with two types of computer interfaces USB was needed to flash the unit.
If you look closely to the download section then you will see, that the UFX+ has different flash tools for USB and thunderbolt.
By this you can deduce yourself, that USB is not necessarily needed, if you do not use it.

> am wondering if it's possible to install both Thunderbolt and USB drivers
Yes
And they became active depending on how you connect the interface and otherwise cause no harm.

> in case I need to connect via USB at some stage

Check at the UFX+ in the display whether its still set to Auto: Options -> Interface Mode -> "AUTO"
Then the devices will recognize automatically which connection type to choose and the PC will load the proper driver automatically, either USB or Thunderbolt.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok, thanks Ramses. 

According to the Flash Update specs, the current USB file updates to USB 51, TB 105, DSP 44 whereas the Thunderbolt file updates to USB 51, TB 103, DSP 42.  Does anyone know what these figures indicate?

Looks as if you get more current firmware via USB flash utility, maybe RME forgot to upgrade the TB based upgrade tool.
Maybe compare the readme files in both zip archives to get more detail information.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

That's what I was thinking, too.  I've just downloaded both files and after extracting the contents, they appear to be exactly the same i.e. file creation dates/times are identical, readme files are identical etc.

@MC, can you shed some more light on a) whether these UFX+ Flash Update files are identical, and b) if there IS a difference, which package is the most current?