Topic: RME and monitor switching

Hello again friends,

I've been still exploring features of TotalMix on old good UFX and I gotta admit it's really nice for switching between up to 4 sets of monitors (every snapshot is a monitor pair, gain compensation in Dynamics section, "do not load Main volume" on snapshot change toggled for seamless switching without volume changes),
on the other hand I've been enjoying my ADI-2 DAC, and I definitely prefer its fully standalone and remote control nature,

what I wonder is,
does it make sense to use ADI-2 DAC as a controller, receive digital signal over optical SPDIF/ADAT, and output its analog signal back to UFX which will be used as solely routing matrix for studio monitor pairs?
or does such setup completely defeat purpose of ADI-2 DAC signal output performance?

running multiple ADI-2's would be probably doable if fed by Digiface USB, but I don't think it's possible to "link" control of four ADI-2 DACs in a convenient way...

thanks for your ideas and thoughts on this

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Re: RME and monitor switching

> does it make sense to use ADI-2 DAC as a controller, receive digital signal over optical SPDIF/ADAT,
> and output its analog signal back to UFX which will be used as solely routing matrix for studio monitor pairs?

By this you would have an additional DA / AD / DA conversion in the signal path
- D/A at the ADI-2 DAC towards the UFX
- A/D when the UFX reads the analog signal so that its routable near realtime in the internal digital routing matrix
- Final D/A conversion to one of the 4 monitor pairs

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13