Topic: Loopback working only for Analog Outs

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out with this.

Im trying to record separate outputs from one instance of Ableton Live , which I will call A, to another instance of Ableton Live , which I will call B. (B will act only as a multitrack recorder)

If I use any of the analog outputs in loopback mode for this purpose, the signal will show up on B and I will be able to record it. However, if I use any of the digital outputs, B will not see any signal, even though it is clearly visible in Totalmix.

I need the analog outputs for other purposes, so it would be great to be able to record the loopback from the digital ones.

What am I missing here?

Thank you.

Re: Loopback working only for Analog Outs

First: telling us which interface you use on what OS. Second: instead of Loopback use a real cable. Does it work then? If not then TM FX is not the issue. Third: Loopback is not visible in TotalMix - the input level meters still show the hardware input signal, not the Loopback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Loopback working only for Analog Outs

Hello Matthias,
Thank you for your reply. I am using the RME Fireface UC and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Do you mean a using cable for the digital outputs? Im afraid I dont have those cables.

I understand about the input level meters not being visible.

However it is the digital playback channels that do not appear to receive a signal from the software. As an example, if I set the master output of Ableton Live to any of the digital channels 9-18, the signal will not appear in Totalmix FM. (If I do the same for outputs 1-8, it will appear in them as it should).

I changed to Logic Pro X for recording from Live, and it does recognise the signal from the loop backed digital input channels, but only when they are fed signal from software playback channels 1-8.

Im sorry if this sounds confusing.

Thanks for your time.