1 (edited by StefanSNO 2020-06-08 18:09:52)

Topic: SOLVED - Could I harm my RME Fireface UFX-II?

Situation: The output of my DAW (DP) is going to RME (Software playback 1-2). Form this channel two set of monitors and two headphones are fed. All is fine. Until recently I have always made sure that my DAW output was not peaking. However, recently in a song (what is normally peaking at -8dB) I have experimented with an EQ plugin. By accident (clicking on a wrong place on this EQ's GUI) I have increased the output level of my DAW by +18dB. So, for a very short time (~1-2 sec) the DAW was peaking - I guess - at +10dB (maximum of +6dB is possible) and also my RME playback channel was above the +6dB level, I guess also at +10dB. Only one headphone was running (the other headphones was off and both monitors were off, too). Well, luckily I listen at very low volumes in my headphones, but that was still a loud signal in my headphones.

My question is, could I harm my RME in any way?

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

Re: SOLVED - Could I harm my RME Fireface UFX-II?

No, this would not damage the RME unit.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by StefanSNO 2020-06-08 18:16:38)

Re: SOLVED - Could I harm my RME Fireface UFX-II?

Thank you Jeff! :-)
---
In any case, from now on I will turn ON a brick wall limiter when experimenting with some weird sounds/plugins.

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.