Topic: BF PRO Midi Port 1 unavailable in some applications (Windows 10)

I am finding that although the midi input "Babyface Midi Port 1" is available in two known applications - Studio One and rtpMidi, it is not showing up as an available midi port in other applications, like Cantible VST host and Reaper. I have gone so far as to reinstall my pc from scratch, with the same result.

If anyone can suggest a fruitful line of troubleshooting inquiry, or any other insights, I would appreciate it.

- Richard

Dell Precision 7510, Windows 10 Pro N (build 19401.330), Babyface Pro 1.168

Re: BF PRO Midi Port 1 unavailable in some applications (Windows 10)

Hello!

In Reaper, you need to enable it in MIDI Devices. I don't know about Cantabile, though. Maybe something similar?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by rjuly 2020-06-23 15:33:30)

Hi MetalHeadKeys,

Thanks for responding. Yes, indeed, that's correct, however in order to enable it, it has to appear in the list of inputs, and it doesn't show up in the list.

- Richard

one question - should "Babyface MIDI port 1" appear in the: MIDI-> MIDI Connection ->MIDI In  pull-down menu of the TotalMix Settings dialog? I believe I saw someone displaying a screenshot showing this, in another post. In my case  "Babyface MIDI port 1" is not available in that menu...

- Richard

So what is available in that menu? If the BF MIDI port is not correctly working in your system (like you described above) it might be missing in TM FX as well.

I remember a post where someone suggested that the list of MIDI devices in Windows is still limited and must be manually cleaned up in the registry...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

HI MC,

Thanks for your reply.

For the MIDI IN - only 'NONE'.

For the MIDI OUT - 'NONE' and 'Microsoft GS Wavetable synth'

It does appear, as you say, to be be missing in TM FX as well.

Very puzzling as to why it would work perfectly in two applications but not in any others (that I have found so far)...

- Richard

Indeed, and I have no easy explanation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Indeed, and I have no easy explanation.

I am sorry to hear that, but it is fair enough. Given the excellent coding of RME drivers and firmware - certainly the most stable I have ever used - the likelihood is that this issue is caused by updates to the windows 10 OS.

Thanks for your consideration of this issue.

- Richard

I can see in the registry that the midi driver for the Babyface pro is using the wdmaud.drv microsoft driver. Is this correct, or does the Babyface have its own driver it should be using? Also, in the device manager the babydace pro has two devices installed. Are  the in and out separate devices?

- Richard

You checked this one, I guess:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/support/faq/10entryd.php

The BF Pro will not show up there, but midi uses the wdmaud.drv. Two devices? Please provide a screenshot. I have only one Babyface Pro in Device Manager.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, under sound, video and game controllers there is one BFP. It is under software devices - among the entries labeled as 'MIDI' that I find two associated with the BFP.

https://lpxzma.am.files.1drv.com/y4mbI9q7EhVQt29B_OV3stYNUXFGP4O8M2gnu4kNxJBtq9xrkKuRym9CIqhSKCKwGNqWlkUkS3ehmxdrrRgWFFmBDAiAOKxpDEoEFGBg5ydtBGB_Hkt3f7xUHZOT5Sc4hD0w8DCn3nDZe596xNCA4OnBpEi05KmX-3LUWBhI361xRbnQ0xVtlZmZ-uTwxwdfRSsDY0s2xVfIFS0vL6fRww7Yw?width=989&height=731&cropmode=none

If the BFP uses the native microsoft driver for midi, than that is correct I guess.

Many thanks for your responses.

- Richard

Yes, that's normal. But there are some more MIDI devices in your pic. Did you check my link and how many entries you have there?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME