Topic: AIO or Raydat

Hi All
Im looking at either the raydat or aio card.
I need stereo out for monitors and stereo out for headphones.
I need 16 inputs.

Re: AIO or Raydat

The RayDAT is a pure digital card without any analog I/O
You need to add a converter to it to get additional analog I/O.
Whats your budget ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses
i have Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and a focusrite octopre mkii dynamic, so im ok for now with input amount via adat to maybe the raydat card. i supose my question really is how do i get sound to my monitors if i go with the raydat? this is where im confused as the raydat doesnt have anolog I/O

4 (edited by ramses 2020-06-26 04:46:40)

You need to configure the Focusrite devices to route its analog inputs to the proper ADAT output.
And then the same for the opposite direction to route from ADAT to its analog outputs.

Next you need to look whether these devices support standalone mode operation, so that you do not need the Firewire connection anymore. This would somehow simplify the setup. On the other hand I remember that each of the 8 inputs of the LS 56 can be switched between line and mic input and you can even keep cables for both plugged in the back ...
Well, then you need Firewire and Mixcrontrol for every day operation.

I do not remember anymore how good or bad this can be achieved using Focusrite Mixcontrol. I had the same devices like you before I got the UFX and having to work with Mixcontrol was an instant fight for me. Therefore I was extremely excited when I got my 1st UFX. Sorry having to say that but Mixcontrol was a real crap compared to TotalMix FX.

If I were you then I would consolidate the setup completely and replace the LS 56 with an USB/TB recording interface like I did. You can keep the octopre or replace even this with maybe an RME XTC which integrates very nicely into TotalMix FX as AUXDEVICE. By this you can remote control most functions of the XTC via TotalMix FX and store / recall settings also digitally in TotalMix FX snapshots. You can use MIDI over MADI for remote control, if you use MADI capable devices.

The most elegant solution would be a combination of UFX+ and XTC connected via MADI. Unused bits in the MADI protocol are being used by RME to remote control the XTC by TM FX. This even saves you the MIDI cabling for remote controlling the XTC (by using the already mentioned "MIDI over MADI" feature). Then you simply have a fiber optical cable for MADI between UFX+ and XTC which theoretically could be up to 2km long between each of the MADI devices (UFX+ one or more XTC or other MADI capable devices).

Another nice feature of such a MADI setup is, that there is an automatic latency compensation between devices in the MADI chain (if not inserting 3rd party MADI devices into the chain) ... If you would have e.g. two XTC connected to an UFX+ via MADI and you would connect a stereo set of Micros not to the same XTC but to different XTC in the MADI chain, then audio would arrive on the DAW sample exact.

And IF you would e.g. replace everything with a UFX+ based solution, then you get also the very nice features like DURec and AUTOSET.

OK, costs a litle more, but believe me, worth every penny and really shines in daily use and much flexibility because MADI supports up to 64 channels @44.1/48.

See these blog articles that I prepared to summarize about UFX+ and such a MADI setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/

If RME AD/DA converter be to expensive to you you could theoretically also look 3rd party.

Another very nice extension of such a setup is with an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for monitors and phones and to use the ARC USB:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

I only wanted to mention, whats possible, so that you can have a look, whats possible and then to decide, what to use.

The UFX+ with DURec really enriched my setup and I use it - among other things - for stuff like this:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -DURec-DE/

UFX and Octamic XTC are only 1 RU high and fit nicely into a Thomann ECO rack. I would suggest to get one RU more to have some airflow between the devices: https://www.thomann.de/de/thon_3he_compact_rack.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses
Thanks very much for the detailed response, for now im going to have to use the LS 56 and the octo pre MK11, i am still not sure about how to get sound to my monitors!
i can plug 8 mics into the LS 56 and 8 mics into the octo pre, then adat out from both into adat in on the raydat card. after that what am i doing to get sound to my monitors? sorry if this is a very dumb question.

The RayDAT is a full digital card.
Therefore your monitors are connected to the LS56, right ?
Lets put the assumption you work only at single speed (44.1/48) to make cabling and routing easier for now ...
Lets assume the following cabling:
RayDAT ADAT1 IN <--------------------- from LS56 ADAT1 OUT
RayDAT ADAT1 OUT --------------------> to LS 56 ADAT1 IN
RayDAT ADAT2 IN <--------------------- from OctoPre Mk II Dynamic ADAT1 OUT
RayDAT ADAT2 OUT --------------------> to OctoPre Mk II Dynamic ADAT1 IN

Clocking:
a) make RayDAT to master clock in the RME driver settings: clock source: "internal"
b) make LS56 + Octopre to clock slave by setting clock source to "ADAT1"

I assume your monitors are connected to the LS56 to its first two analog outputs.
In Mixcontrol route audio from ADAT1 ch1+2 to analog 1+2 out.

In TotalMix FX enable submix mode, if not yet done.
Via TM FX "Assign" button assign ADAT 1+2 as Main Out. By this HW output ADAT1/2 moves to the right into the TM FX control room section, with the aim that control room features like DIM or MONO or whatever can be used for this output.
Now in TM FX click to the HW Output ADAT 1/2 in the control room section, the channel there is called "Main".
By this the channel becomes highlighted and all the channel labels of HW inputs and SW playback channel show ADAT1/2 as you see now the submix for ADAT1/2 (aka "Main").
To get audio routed to "Main" you simply need to raise the faders of HW inputs and SW playback channels as needed.

The HW inputs (top row) is what is connected to the RayDATs inputs. Of course you need to route now the Mic inputs of your focusrite devices to ADAT, otherwise you can't see there any signal coming in ..
The SW playback channels (middle row) is what comes from your PC / your Application.
If you selected the RME ASIO driver you can send audio to any output. Then you will see audio arriving in the middle row.
To hear that stuff on your monitors do as already told, submix mode, click to the "Main" channel and then raise the faders to create the proper submix for Main. To add or remove channels.

Finally save the routing to Snapshot1 to send audio to your monitors.
Make a similar routing for phones....
I would take an Execl sheet where you can keep track of the channel mappings across ADAT .. "what is what"
Of course you can also customize the names of the channels in TM FX and later switch between customized and original name.

Highly recommended is to watch the RME Tutorial videos which are phantastic and "to the point". No wast of time, everything very compact, I put together a collection of those: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

You can also find a TM FX routing primer / step by step guide that I wrote here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

The manual also gives you very detailed information about TM FX as well as the TM FX online help.