Topic: Question about Windows 2019 Server / PC Tuning for audio

Hi,

I would like to know if there are Windows services that must (should) be stopped, I mean services that could have an impact on the audio driver.

I ask this, because we have to close and restart our applications (softphones) quite regularly. I'm pretty sure that something that runs in the background is affecting the audio but I don't know what could it be.

Any suggestion is very appreciated!

My system:

Windows 2019 Server
Digiface Dante (with uptodate drivers, v. 0.9716. with network driver 0.9525)
Luci Studio (softphone) v5.7.3

Thank you very much,
Dave

Re: Question about Windows 2019 Server / PC Tuning for audio

LatencyMon is a tool to find out what DPC latencies are causes by the different drivers on your system.
As LatencyMon simulates a network load you need to run it on an otherwise IDLE system.
There has been written much already to this topic on the forum, maybe search for LatencyMon.
Or alternatively google search: "LatencyMon site:forum.rme-audio.de

There was a PDF in the past from somebody on german recording forums but he pulled it back.
There were some recommendations to deactivate some services and autoimated tasks on Windows 7.
But Windows 7 is now history ...

I personally made the experience that e.g. under Windows 10 it is sufficient to

- check / optimize drivers with LatencyMon ...

- optimize BIOS settings by deactivatig power saving, eventually up to configuring a fix clock
  see my blog for an example:
  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -X10SRi-F/

- deactivate as much as possible by using O&O WinShutup (in terms of privacy and other things)

- priotize background services for reasons which I described in my blog: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … orderlich/

- deactivate windows core parking, https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

- when installing software always use expert options, because for some free software you can prevent, that other demo software is being installed additionally (as advertizement) which might be bad for your systems performance

- review autostart whether some tools or utilities are being installed that you do not want to have permanently started/active

- do not install not needed add-on tools (BIOS update, blower control, etc etc) that came e.g. with your mainboard or other additional HW. They can be bad programmed and severe slow down your system, try to stick with Microsoft tools for managing HW. There are always exceptions to this rule (Like SSD management tools) but I remember a Laptop of a friend, where the whole Lenovo Admin crap  severely slowed down the system, the preinstallation was nothing but a catastroph. A sane new installation fixed this entirely and resulted in a nice working system. Preinstallation from Laptop vendors can be regarded as evil.

- only install required drivers for your mainboard ... turn off not needed HW (bluetooth, wireless, com port, etc to reduce the likelyness to install a bad driver and to reduce interrupts on your systems. Those DPC block your CPU ... normal processes have to wait until low level routines free the CPU .... its all simply based on programming conventions and some drivers keep themselves running for too long which blocks the CPU for executing other processes ... this you can find out with LatencyMon ...

- WLAN, network driver can create a severe number of additional interrupts / DPCs ... while recording or working with audio I would disable stuff like bluetooth and wireless. LAN you can keep enabled but if there is for whatever reason network traffic from / to your system, then maybe also disable LAN, at least avoid to browse the internet etc etc ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13