Topic: ADI-2 + power amp w/ adjustable input gain

Looking for ideal theoretical settings here. I'm running my ADI-2 into an XTZ power amplifier with adjustable gain. Right now I have the ADI output gain set to +1dbu and the poweramp set to the lowest acc. to my maximum listening levels and there's plenty headroom left in the poweramp.

Re: ADI-2 + power amp w/ adjustable input gain

I presume you are using DAC model of ADI-2. I also presume it's XTZ EDGE A2-300 power amp, for which they state ~1.39Vrms input sensitivity. I couldn't find any spec on gain pot, but they advise you should use it to trim the input level.

Anyway, if you'd like to match their spec, set the DAC's reference level to 7dBu, lower the volume by 2dB, which  would give you roughly 1.37Vrms, and you can even lock the volume in settings.

Thanks. Should have clarified I use the ADI 2 as a preamp.
I'm not that well versed when it comes to these things but I'm under the impression these's always a compromise between dynamics and distortion so I'm just interested if there's some kind of rule of thumb to dial in ideal levels. Not that I actually hear a difference when trying out different settings, just interested in the theory I guess..

4 (edited by N00b 2020-07-04 14:40:14)

Super Panda wrote:

Thanks. Should have clarified I use the ADI 2 as a preamp.
I'm not that well versed when it comes to these things but I'm under the impression these's always a compromise between dynamics and distortion so I'm just interested if there's some kind of rule of thumb to dial in ideal levels. Not that I actually hear a difference when trying out different settings, just interested in the theory I guess..

You can search on that forum: there are at least 4 or 5 threads with the same question and a lot of answers and good advice...
And ADI-2 is not precise enough: ADI-2 FS, ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 Pro...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

5 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-04 21:48:23)

Super Panda wrote:

.. I use the ADI 2 as a preamp.
... I'm under the impression these's always a compromise between dynamics and distortion ...

Not with the ADI-2!

Clear case for using "Auto Reference Level" and let ADI-2 optimize the setting automatically.

Dial down the power amp's inputs some so that you still can reach your max.  desired loudness.

Exact value does not matter, ADI-2 takes care over quite some loudness range to get full use out of the DAC and analog part's dynamic.

That's it!

KaiS wrote:
Super Panda wrote:

.. I use the ADI 2 as a preamp.
... I'm under the impression these's always a compromise between dynamics and distortion ...

Not with the ADI-2!

Clear case for using "Auto Reference Level" and let ADI-2 optimize the setting automatically.

Dial down the power amp's inputs some so that you still can reach your max.  desired loudness.

Exact value does not matter, ADI-2 takes care over quite some loudness range to get full use out of the DAC and analog part's dynamic.

That's it!

ADI-2 DAC (FS) or Pro (FS R BE) have Auto Vol Ref, ADI-2 (FS) doesn't have it... wink

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

7 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-04 23:45:40)

I presumed we are talking about the ADI-2 DAC, else the topic is in the wrong forum.

Lot's of posters here don't know there are three different ADI-2 models.

KaiS wrote:

Ok thanks! I clearly have to look deeper into these features smile
So I assume by dialling down the power amp gain there's less distortion, but will that not deteriorate dynamics regardless of the preamp settings? Do I have a way of checking the ideal gain setting for my power amp? Again talking in purely theoretical terms here.. I doubt I could actually hear a difference.

Sorry not to have clarified this earlier: I'm using the latest ADI-2 DAC FS model feeding an XTZ Edge A2-300.

9 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-05 08:42:22)

Super Panda wrote:
KaiS wrote:

So I assume by dialling down the power amp gain there's less distortion, but will that not deteriorate dynamics regardless of the preamp settings? Do I have a way of checking the ideal gain setting for my power amp? Again talking in purely theoretical terms here..
Sorry not to have clarified this earlier: I'm using the latest ADI-2 DAC FS model feeding an XTZ Edge A2-300.

I guessed so.

Dialing down the power amp makes best use out of ADI-2 DAC's dynamic range.
Therefore it improves every quality aspect with no negative sideeffects.

ADI-2 DAC has about 20dB more level capability than your power amp can take at max. input setting.
By dialing down the amp this 20dB range becomes used.

Additionally dialing down the power amp serves as protection from accidentially damaging your speakers by heavily overdriving (20dB!) the amp.

Finding the the best amp setting is easy:
With Auto Reference Level on, your ADI-2 DAC's max vol should just be sufficient to reach your loudest listening demands.

The exact value doesn't matter, ADI-2 DAC's Auto Ref Level cares for the fine-tuning.
This is no religion, you can always re-adjust if you need more level.

For "Auto Reference Level" and how it improves sound quality read manual page 37.