1 (edited by carymcreynolds 2020-07-10 17:23:28)

Topic: USB- Variable Sound Quality (Inconsistent)

Hi,

I am new owner of an ADI-2 DAC FS.  I seem to be having an issue with the USB input.  I am using a SOTM SMS-200 to stream to the DAC through USB.  When I first hooked it up, the sound was somewhat distorted, like it was missing data (microdropouts?).  I then ran a Coax from a Sonos I have and it sounded fine.  I rebooted the SOTM and it sounded better (I can cue up the same music at the same time in Roon and instantly switch inputs between the SOTM and Sonos to compare).  A while later the gritty sound came back.  I unplugged the USB cable and reconnected and it is better again. 

Any ideas?  Connection issue?  Update firmware on the RME (which I assume is pretty current). 

Thank you,

Cary

Re: USB- Variable Sound Quality (Inconsistent)

Did you try a different USB cable yet?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-10 19:48:18)

Check with RME Bit Test, see manual page 92.

I found this, at
https://www.fairaudio.de/test/sotm-sms- … mer-audio/

"Gibt es Abspielprobleme, am besten bei angeschlossenem, eingeschaltetem DAC einen Neustart von „MPD &DLNA“ vornehmen und gegebenenfalls auch das Tablet/Smartphone samt App neustarten."

"playback problems -> restart  „MPD &DLNA“ while DAC switched on..."

Thank you.  I will try a different cable (I should have thought of that) and try the test bit.

Ran the bit test.  All passed except the file labeled 192 16 bit, which appears to be mislabeled (I think it is actually the 24 bit from the other two 192 tests).  I tried a different cable, but the same result.  Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Cary

6 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-12 05:22:59)

The Bit Test is quite short and might not catch the fault immediately.

Therefore, redo the test repeatedly, multiple times when you get the distortions.
Only use the file with the same SR and Bit-depth that your music has, to avoid "resetting" by SR change.
Run it the exact same path your music is comming from.

Does it give positive results then, every run?
If yes, your ADI-2 possibly might be broken.
If it fails at some runs the USB connection is instable.

carymcreynolds wrote:

Ran the bit test.  All passed except the file labeled 192 16 bit, which appears to be mislabeled (I think it is actually the 24 bit from the other two 192 tests)

When you put these files into a playlist the display might not get reset during playback and sticks to a wrong message. When playing the files consecutively insert a pause that is long enough for the message to vanish, then start the next playback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just as a follow up.  I have been using the unit for a couple of weeks now with a different USB cable (a very high end $5 Amazon Basic's cable) and have had no further issues.  It has worked perfectly and replaced my prior preamp and dac units (which I sold for more than I paid for the RME).

9 (edited by Curt962 2020-07-24 12:07:37)

Cary,

That's Great News.  Thanks for sharing!    I had to laugh at your Quip regarding the $5 Amazon Basics Cable.  You may find that there are very few users in this group who would dispute your choice smile   Many of us use a few Amazon Basics items in our own gear.  Great Value, and it WORKS!

If you're in the U.S. and REALLY want to go cutting edge/stratospheric..."Sam's Choice" (Wal*Mart) USB Cable is good too!   Super flexible, Robust Connections, etc.   Of course, this is all contingent on your willingness to drop the Princely Sum of $3 or $4...  smile

That said, cue up some Music, and Enjoy!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I avoid Wallyworld and Sam's Club.  Every time I go (which is usually a couple of times a year to buy motor oil), I walk out saying to myself: "Not worth the savings."   Between their customer base, lack of inventory, and the slow lines, I find it not worth it.  I am a Costco/Target person, but more and more, I will buy it on line, wait a day or two, and not have to spend money or time driving around.

carymcreynolds wrote:

...but more and more, I will buy it on line, wait a day or two, and not have to spend money or time driving around.

If you don't buy local soon there will be no more local shops and jobs where you live.

KaiS wrote:
carymcreynolds wrote:

...but more and more, I will buy it on line, wait a day or two, and not have to spend money or time driving around.

If you don't buy local soon there will be no more local shops and jobs where you live.

Given my local purchasing choices for USB cables are Walmart, Best Buy, and Target, which are all large national chains, I don't feel bad giving my money to Amazon, who at least pays the local delivery driver. 

For purchases where there is a locally owned business, I tend to use them, i.e. groceries, bicycle shop.  I do cheat though and shop at Trader Joes, which belongs to Aldi Nord, so I am doing my part to keep the German economy going (as well as my purchase from RME).  smile