Topic: Help with Babyface>external preamp

So I’ve gone through all the documentation, but I am really just a beginner and the technical aspects of all this are a bit over my head. Hoping I can get a simple explanation for the best way to use Babyface pro fs with an external preamp. Goal is to have the Babyface give minimal impact to the signal, bypassing Babyface preamp.
I’m using an isa one, which is going from Xlr out to trs in on the Babyface. So first question is, is this the right way to go in? Trs into the input 3? Or am I better off going xlr from isa one into xlr on the Babyface?
Second question is, once I’ve got the right input going in, what do I need to have as far as setup in TotalMix. Gain settings, level, routing.. anything I should be paying attention to here to get the best vocal recording possible? Thanks!

Re: Help with Babyface>external preamp

Both inputs will work. Leave gain at 0 dB and everything else unchanged... Totalmix routing does not affect the rcording as such.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I also have ISA one but ff400 not babyface and i connect the XLR outs of ISA to TRS LINE ins of ff400.  i had to set my line in to LoGain versus +4dBU to tame the ISA one signal.

let me know if you find your DI SIGNAL coming out of the ISA to be crazy hot.  mine sure is!  not an issue with RME at all, just that the the ISA one apparently is known to have a super hot DI output signal.

also, totalmix fx will not adjust any of the levels going INTO YOUR DEVICE.  For INPUT LEVELS you can only make those adjustments in the main SETTINGS that are not part of total mix.  mine is called fireface settings and it is an orange icon in system tray.  this is where you would setup pads, add gain, set the line level to -10, +4, LoGain, etc.

for you, take xlr out of isa to a line in on the babyface and leave the channel at default.  your mic level will be OK but if you try DI you will likely have a crazy hot signal like I do!