1 (edited by ade2 2020-07-15 10:31:18)

Topic: [Solved] UFX II recording issue. Please help!

Hello!

Firstly I apologize for the long post but I wanted to explain the problem as well as I can, hopefully it'll be successful.

This started appearing out of nowhere 10-15 days ago. There seems to be a software feedback noise issue that I can't get rid off.

The noise is audible only when I'm recording/monitoring the track in Cubase that is being recorded, and the noise is also recorded along with the instrument on that track. The noise also appears when using standalone apps like Neural DSP amp sims.

The noise is not audible when I'm just importing audio files into the project and playing them back or using any MIDI instruments, so it's just when recording/monitoring the track in Cubase.

I tried everything.
My interface (FF UFX II) is not the issue (tested the pres outside any DAW, standalone app, just monitoring through my monitors, they're not making the noise), disabled all other audio devices, updated Windows, checked the routing multiple times and everything seems fine as before this issue, tried changing the buffer size, does nothing also, changing WDM devices, changing the sample rate etc. nothing helped.

It's like a static bircrusher like noise that is heard over the instrument you're trying to record. It doesn't affect MIDI instruments though.

Here's a short video for context: https://youtu.be/YweDBNZDC7Q

My keyboard (Yamaha MOX8) is inserted on channels 11/12 on the UFX II. The loop is just a random loop from the keyboard.

This happens with any instrument/mic, the keyboard was just the most convenient choice right now.
Keyboard is stereo routed in Cubase on channels Analog 11/12.

And yes, this noise gets recorded onto the loop when recording it to the track, happens with every other instrument/mic I try to record.
Same thing happens with standalone plugins like guitar amp sim apps, I route everything as before, set monitoring through AN 1/2 which are my monitors and set the channel that I'm recording through (any of the channels on the front of the UFX II).

Yesterday I've spent almost an hour with RME support through TeamViewer trying just about every possible option and they couldn't figure it out, but they're certain that this is a software playback issue and there's a feedback loop of some sort that was created. 
I had Cubase opened, TotalMix, and control panel for RME interface for them to monitor.

I've sent them multiple samples of the noise and they put the sample through an analyzer and this came out:
https://i.ibb.co/k5twDQN/s-X85-M4pvza-KCajmu-cropped-OXU1c.jpg

I really hope anybody can help with this because I'm paralyzed work-wise at the moment.

Thank you for your time!

Re: [Solved] UFX II recording issue. Please help!

Sounds like there is a problem with ASIO audio getting distorted. Change the buffer size in the Settings dialog and try a different sample rate. You could also try Reaper to see if this effect shows up there as well.

BTW, that waveform does NOT show a feedback loop. There are missing (muted) samples, either intentionally by a plugin (demo mode?) or the mentioned performance problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I initially suspected a feedback loop prior to looking at the setup remotely and seeing what actually causes the "distortion" (the missing samples). This appears to happen during recording, not playback, otherwise it would not show up in the recorded wave file.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

4 (edited by ade2 2020-07-15 14:25:28)

Hi, thanks for responding!

I tried changing the buffer size and the sample rate, nothing changes, the noise still persists. I also tried Reaper in trial version and the same problem occurred.

Could this, in any way, be a problem of having installed cracked plugins?

Because I have a couple of them, even though that doesn't make sense to me because the noise appears even with standalone apps that are not in any way connected to those plugins, even when I'm in Cubase and when I'm not using any plugins on a track, the noise appears.

I don't know if that could mess with ASIO in any way, doesn't make sense but if you think it could be an issue, I could uninstall those plugins.

I think that's the only thing left I haven't tried.

Thanks!

Name, address? Then some people will surely be happy to solve this plugin problem for you ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Inactive plugins are unlikely to interfere with the recording process. But then, if I remember correctly, the same audible issue also occurs during software monitoring in Cubase (but not while monitoring with Totalmix)....

Regards
D. Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Inactive plugins are unlikely to interfere with the recording process. But then, if I remember correctly, the same audible issue also occurs during software monitoring in Cubase (but not while monitoring with Totalmix)....

Regards
D. Fuchs
RME

Hi,

yes it does.

I've spent the entire day trying to fix this, I'm about to quit life, this is so frustrating.

I reinstalled everything again, completely from scratch, again the same noise...

I would greatly appreciate if someone from RME support could try to help me one more time through TeamViewer sometime tomorrow because this is a really serious and urgent issue for me, I really need this fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you!!!

Hello!

I 've noticed in your youtube video that you have 16 errors reported from the UFX II Usb driver!
Maybe your cable is broken or defective? Can you try with a different one?

Also, did you try connecting it to a different usb port? Preferably, one that comes directly from the motherboard's chipset.
Also, open Device manager -> Usb controllers -> Usb Hubs -> Right click on the one the Ufx II is connected to -> Properties -> Power Management -> UnCheck the "Allow windows to turn off this device" Option.

Also, I 've noticed that you have 15 WDM Devices configured at the Driver Settings. Can you repeat your tests with none of them selected? (i.e using only the ASIO driver)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

10 (edited by lucasheight 2020-07-16 04:48:28)

It appears exactly the same problem I had with a surfacebook2 notebook.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30527
I could not get it to work at all so I only use the ufx 2 on a desktop now.

Cheers
Lynden

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

I 've noticed in your youtube video that you have 16 errors reported from the UFX II Usb driver!

Not true. There are Zero 5/16 CRC errors. It would have been helpful to show this display after the sound gets scrambled, but that is not part of the video.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

SOLVED!!!
It was the effin faulty UFX II USB cable.

I didn't even think that the cable could be the issue because I was using the same USB cable before this noise suddenly started appearing. I don't know what happened in the meantime and how the cable suddenly stopped working properly, it would make sense that it would stop working completely if it broke. I just grabbed a new cable from the tech store this morning and voilà!

Apologies to everyone for wasting your time over a problem as stupid as this. I kinda knew the issue will be something absurdly stupid.

Thank you @MetalHeadKeys for the suggestion and a big thank you to everyone in this thread!

Cheers :-)

MC wrote:
MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Not true. There are Zero 5/16 CRC errors. It would have been helpful to show this display after the sound gets scrambled, but that is not part of the video.

Ooops! Apologies for the misinformation!
Thing is, I 've never had any problem with my DF Usb, so I wouldn't know how an error would look like! smile

Fortunately, it led to the solution for the OP!

@ade2
You're welcome!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632