Topic: Can't find the "instrument" botton on my totalmix channels

I Can't find the "instrument" botton on my totalmix channels. I have a Babyface pro fs and I wanna use 3-4 inputs to rec a guitar but the signal is very low (I think it's setted to line input) and I can't find the way to switch to Hi-gain or instrument input. I have seen many videos on youtube where totalmix has the instrument botton

2 (edited by cyrano 2020-07-19 21:49:34)

Re: Can't find the "instrument" botton on my totalmix channels

That setting is in the "Settings" app, not in the Totalmix app. At least, for my FF400...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

The BF Pro TS inputs are always high impedance (aka instrument). Set the ref level to -10 and Gain to max to get lower signals more loud.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

the ref level setted at -10 could help. But 9 db of gain will never be enough for a guitar, also it's a digital gain, not a preamp so i'm not preamping my guitar. not good

I can't believe there's no way to record a guitar with this interface

You need to raise the gain knob to a reasonable value.
For my UFX+ I use a gain level of 25 for Humbuckers and 28 for single coil guitars.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes but the gain knob is about 9db and it is a digital gain (basically a trim). so i'm plugging my guitar in the babyface and playing with NO PREAMP. As @ramses mentioned you need at least 28 db of gain level to record a guitar properly

8 (edited by ramses 2020-07-20 12:02:25)

Ok, sorry, according to the manual this is implemented in a different way as you say.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I think the only chance is to use the xlr mic inputs to record the guitar. It works fine, but still... WHY

I have no clue what's wrong here, but usually we get complains that the input is too sensitive. -10 plus 9 dB must clip the input hard even with lower level guitars. Check the inputs 3/4 with other sources.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried with synths (line signal) and it works perfectly fine. The guitar is still too low cause i think i need to set in some ways the 3/4 inputs for instrumentals signals

Aren't the first 2 channels Mic/instrument inputs? You can adjust the gain to suit taste. If you want to use other channels you would need a preamp. I have a UFX and channels 9-12 act in this fashion. guitars don't have enough gain and the impedance would be wrong.