Topic: Help deciding which model to get for my setup?

Hello,

I just ordered a pair of Genelec 8341s and 7350 subs which have digital AES inputs so I'm looking for an interface from USB -> AES/XLR.

Since the ADI-2 DAC doesn't have digital outputs it seems my options are:

1) ADI-2 FS plus an adapter (spdif->aes)
2) ADI-2 PRO FS which has AES output

Questions:

Does the EQ work with the digital AES outputs or analog only?

Which option would you recommend?

Best,
Rand

2 (edited by ramses 2020-08-03 20:41:43)

Re: Help deciding which model to get for my setup?

Is this for HiFi or Recording ? Do you need TotalMix FX ?
If recording what other I/O ports do you need ?
What is your max budget ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Is this for HiFi or Recording ? Do you need TotalMix FX ?
If recording what other I/O ports do you need ?
What is your max budget ?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. For HiFi only. Don't need TotalMix FX.

I don't have a max budget per se. Was thinking if the EQ on the PRO works with digital outputs then I am leaning that way as I could use it as a headphone amp as well.

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-08-03 21:10:26)

The ADI-2 Pro FS seems to be the logical choice if you don't have to look at the penny (German saying).
It can be the central unit of your system and will "grow with you" while you get familiar with it.

KaiS wrote:

The ADI-2 Pro FS seems to be the logical choice if you don't have to look at the penny (German saying).
It can be the central unit of your system and will "grow with you" while you get familiar with it.

I am leaning that way. Does the EQ on the PRO work with the digital AES outputs or analog only?

6 (edited by KaiS 2020-08-04 08:36:07)

Even better, there are 3 independent EQs:
on both DAC path's, and the analog input, ADC.

Have a look at the block diagrams of the different basic configurations selectable as "Setups", manual page 37ff.
DSP means a full set of functions including EQ.

If the digital output follows the the analog out or works independent, straight from the source, without DSP/Volume control, is switchable.

For your purpose the Setup "DAC" might be a good starting point, manual page 42.
It links the source selector for both outputs 1/2 and 3/4, and optional the digital out too.

Thanks for your reply.

In my case I would be going from USB input -> AES output so I would not be using the DAC. Would the EQ work in this case?

8 (edited by ramses 2020-08-04 12:04:16)

Yes and its clearly visible in the block diagram in the manual, see ch 17.4.

https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_e.pdf

In USB mode you can set the "digital out source" (-> e.g. AES) from "Default" to "Main Out", which selects audio through the DSP/DAC section towards Main Out (1/2) which includes PEQ adjustments to the signal, because the PEQ resides in the DSP section.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Excellent, in this case when it goes through the DAC/DSP section does the incoming signal go through any digital to analog conversion or does it remain digital the entire time?

AFAIK sound manipulation like B/T, PEQ, dynamic loudness, ... work in the digital domain (DSP).
D/A conversion is only being performed if the signal leaves the digital domain (monitor, phones output).

A/D conversion (Pro models) is only being performed one time at the analog input.
Further processing is being performed in the digital domain until the final D/A conversion.

11 (edited by KaiS 2020-08-04 22:51:10)

I can confirm, the above is correct.
All processing is done only in the digital domain.

The path: USB - DSP (EQ etc.) - AES out, is purely digital.

Awesome thanks for confirming, really appreciate it. I'm going to go with the PRO.

Hi.

I went to purchase the PRO from the RME website, but it appears the website has recently been changed and there doesn't appear to be an option to buy it anymore. Also I can't find the "Friends of RME Login" that I registered for anymore.

Does RME no longer sell directly via their website or is this a temporary website error?

'Friends of RME' is SFB from the Netherlands. The RME website never had an option to buy directly. But some of our distributors have.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying,. I found the page (see link below). Is rme-shop.com a third party distributor?

https://www.rme-shop.com/acatalog/RME-- … tml#SID=63

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME