Topic: Anyone using VSL's Synchron player and HDSPe driver v4.29? Help!

Hi all.  I'm looking for urgent assistance with a likely sample rate mismatch issue between my RME HDSPe card and VSL's Synchron player (I'm on W10 v1903 using the v4.29 driver with a Multiface II) 

Short version:
I think there's an issue with the Synchron player upsampling from their native 44.1kHz to a higher sample rate that is unique to the RME card.  Using sample rates of 48kHz and up results in a horrible digital buzzing sound analgous to a very low bit rate sound. It becomes worse the higher the sample rate. Can anyone confirm?

Longer version:
Full details at https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t … post298898, but I recently purchased Synchron Percussion I Drums and the Bass drum has a strange ringing that I can only describe as similar to that high pitched 'digital' sound you get when you lower the bit rate. I thought it was restricted to the Bass drum but it is actually audible in ALL of my Synchron library instruments, it's just more noticeable with low frequencies (with high frequency sounds the ringing sound is masked).

There is a WAV file attached at the above link to illustrate

I then discovered that it looks like it's due to a sample rate issue with the Synchron player working at 48kHz, because working in Cubase at 44.1kHz fixes the problem. However, because I have to work and deliver at 48kHz for film this isn't a solution for me. Increasing the sample rate to 88.2kHz or 96kHz makes the high digital buzzing sound so bad that the original sample being played is unrecognisable.

Same thing happens in the stand-alone Synchron player. If I go into the sample player preferences and set the sample rate to 48kHz or higher (and my RME interface Hammerfall DSP Settings changes the sample rate to reflect the selected sample rate as you'd expect) the digital buzzing sound is present. Switching back to 44.1kHz in the stand-alone application (with my RME interface Settings switching back mirroring the player as normal) and the ringing is gone

I don't have this behaviour in the Vienna Instruments plugin or Kontakt so this is clearly a Synchron player issue. However, I can't find any other users reporting this so I now suspect it is unique to HDSPe users.  Can anyone confirm?

Starting to get desperate now because I bought a few Synchron libraries I need to integrate into my template prior to a job starting shortly (my first job in almost 9 months thanks to effing COVID19 - about time!)

I hope someone can assist!

Thanks - Brett

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-08-10 01:45:53)

Re: Anyone using VSL's Synchron player and HDSPe driver v4.29? Help!

Hello!

On what buffer setting does this happen? Have you tried increasing it? Do you still get the same behaviour?

Also, if you have any WDM devices configured, can you try un-checking them all and test again?

Also, I read in a recent thread about an "ASIO Guard Level" Option in Cubase:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31132

It's on post #13

Perhaps, you can experiment with that option, as well !

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thanks for your reply MHK

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

On what buffer setting does this happen? Have you tried increasing it? Do you still get the same behaviour?

It happens on all buffer settings.

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Also, if you have any WDM devices configured, can you try un-checking them all and test again?

Good idea but this made no difference

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Also, I read in a recent thread about an "ASIO Guard Level" Option in Cubase:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31132 It's on post #13. Perhaps, you can experiment with that option, as well !

Actually, this happens even in the Synchron stand alone player so is a problem independent of Cubase.

However, on the advice of my DAW builder I installed ASIO4All to see if it was specific to the RME driver and the 48kHz issue was there too.

More details at https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/m … post298994

Now I've got no clue what's going on!

Brett

You 're welcome!

I read your posts at the VLS Forum, as well, and I must say it is a rather weird behaviour..
Working in 96K and not in 48K is odd..

What is the CPU Usage when this is happening?
Also, on what bit depth does this happen?

Can you try with another library for the Synchron Player? I mean, if you can download one in demo mode(if they provide one)

Also, what about the MMCSS Option in the RME Driver Settings? Is that checked or unchecked?
If it is checked, can you try with it unchecked?

Hi MHK

Well, at last some other users have tested and can repro this - details at https://vi-control.net/community/thread … khz.96889/.  Which means it's not some unique quirk related to my system.

CPU use normal and MMCSS option makes no difference.  Also present with ASIO4All driver so looks like it's not an RME issue.  VSL support to get back to me...

B

Hi Brett!

Glad, at least, it started getting sorted out!

Please post an update with the (hopefully good) outcome!