Topic: Behringer X Touch Mini

So i have the X Touch mini setup in MACKIE CONTROL mode and rigth otu of the box the little fader does control the MAIN monitor volume which is nice.

I'd like to be able to assign a pot to HEADPHONE output volume and mute groups.  Does anyone have any sort of a gudie at all on setting up an x touch mini to work with totalmix?

Re: Behringer X Touch Mini

ok im in standard mode and in bank A I have fader on channel 1 and CC 7 which is now controlling the main fader.

i would like to assign BANK B to control the HEADPHONE output.  what is the MIDI CC # and CHANNEL for headphone output?

3 (edited by nateandrews 2020-08-11 17:17:57)

Found this on another post

HARDWARE OUTPUTS
MIDI Channel 1
Note Gb 1  : Main Mono
Note D 2   : Speaker B
Note A 5   : Main Dim

MIDI Channel 9
CC102 : AN 1 Fader : 0 - 127
CC103 : AN 2 Fader : 0 - 127
CC104 : AN 3 Fader : 0 - 127
CC105 : AN 4 Fader : 0 - 127
CC106 : AN 5 Fader : 0 - 127
CC107 : AN 6 Fader : 0 - 127
CC108 : AN 7 Fader : 0 - 127
CC109 : AN 8 Fader : 0 - 127
CC110 : SPDIF L Fader : 0 - 127
CC111 : SPDIF R Fader : 0 - 127
CC112 : AS 1 Fader : 0 - 127
CC113 : AS 2 Fader : 0 - 127
CC114 : ADAT 3 Fader : 0 - 127
CC115 : ADAT 4 Fader : 0 - 127
CC116 : ADAT 5 Fader : 0 - 127
CC117 : ADAT 6 Fader : 0 - 127

MIDI Channel 10
CC102 : ADAT 7 Fader : 0 - 127
CC103 : ADAT 8 Fader : 0 - 127

Setting to channel 9 and CC108 or CC109 is moving the SPDIF and not my analog 7/8 outputs (headphone).

I took a guess and made it CC107 which DOES work to control analog 7/8 hardware output fader.

ok this is workign well.. the main things I do when recording acoustic gutiar is kill fader on my monitors and raise headphone.  what ive done is mapped the main fader to LAYER A and then in LAYER B i have mapped to headphone output.  this is working brillianty.

how can I assign, IN STANDARD MODE, not in mackie control mode, buttons to the MUTE GROUPS I have made?

OK talking to myself in this thread.  so I cannot figure out how to map buttons to the SNAPSHOTS.

I want to use button 8 to bring up SNAPSHOT 1 adn I want to use button 7 to bring up snapshot 2.

I programmed them for CHANNEL 1 and F#3 and G3.  Button pressing does nothing....

28.5 Standard MIDI Control
The hardware output which is set up as Main Out can be controlled by the standard Control
Change Volume via MIDI channel 1. With this, the main volume of the Fireface 400 is controllable from nearly any MIDI equipped hardware device.
Even if you don't want to control all faders and pans, some buttons are highly desired to be
available in 'hardware'. These are mainly the Talkback and the Dim button, and the monitoring
option Cue (listen to Phones submixes). Fortunately a Mackie Control compatible controller is
not required to control these buttons, as they are steered by simple Note On/Off commands on
MIDI channel 1.
The notes are (hex / decimal / keys):
Dim: 5D / 93 / A 6
Mono: 2A / 42 / #F 2
Talkback: 5E / 94 / #A 6
Recall: 5F / 95 / H 6
Speaker B: 32 / 50 / D3
Cue Main Out: 3E / 62 / D 4
Cue Phones 1: 3F / 63 / #D 4
Cue Phones 2: 40 / 64 / E 4
Cue Phones 3: 41 / 65 / F 4
Cue Phones 4: 42 / 66 / #F 4
Snapshot 1: 36 / 54 / #F 3
Snapshot 2: 37 / 55 / G 3
Snapshot 3: 38 / 56 / #G 3
Snapshot 4: 39 / 57 / A 3
Snapshot 5: 3A / 58 / #A 3
Snapshot 6: 3B / 59 / B 3
Snapshot 7: 3C / 60 / C 4
Snapshot 8: 3D / 61 / #C 4
Trim Gains: 2D / 45 / A 2
Master Mute: 2C / 44 / #G 2
Master Solo: 2B / 43 / G 2

GAH!  I figured it out.  There is an error in the FF400 manual on the midi section!

It is *not* F#3 and G3.   it is F#2 and G2 !!!!!!!!!!!

Snapshot 1: 36 / 54 / #F 3 <---------- WRONG
Snapshot 2: 37 / 55 / G 3  <---------- WRONG
Snapshot 3: 38 / 56 / #G 3
Snapshot 4: 39 / 57 / A 3
Snapshot 5: 3A / 58 / #A 3
Snapshot 6: 3B / 59 / B 3
Snapshot 7: 3C / 60 / C 4
Snapshot 8: 3D / 61 / #C 4

Thats not a error, you use a different standard. Explained here many years ago. The only thing that will always be correct are the other two, hex and dec.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am not sure what standard I am using.   

I just wanted to program my Behringer X Touch mini to control the master fader and AN7/8 fader, plus call up a few snapshots. 

What standard is F#3 and G3 vs F#2 and G2 shown in the manual?  Because I am not in MACKIE CONTROL mode? 

What about having to use CC106 and CC107 for AN7/8 instead of CC108/CC109?

Can I see the post that was explained many years ago so I can read that to educate myself.

OK i would now like to map a few more buttons to MUTES on the TotalMIX FX.

What CHANNEL and MIDI NOTE number do I need to send in order to MUTE AN1, AN7 and AN8 of my fireface 400 using "standard" mode of the behringer xtouch mini?

MC - Can you poitn me to that thread you mentioend talking about "explained years ago"?  I would like to know why the CC info in the FF400 manual does not match to what I try to program.  I am nt using the Mackie Contorl mode becuase it is too limiting, but using the STANDRAD whre I can manually assign a midi channel and CC to any of the buttons, push, spins and fader.

I'm doing well with the X TOUCH MINI to control TOTALMIX FX.  I am going to replace it though with a similar device with multiple faders.  Right now on the x mini I have to switch layers, with layer 1 for main vol and layer b for headphone volume.  A multi fader unit will work better.

please so far with the midi control, just really confused why the manual is wrong and off by an octave.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 25#p101625

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by nateandrews 2020-08-17 14:03:53)

MC - Thanks for the link to the 6 year old dinosaur thread.  You wrote:

"Dusty topic (cough cough). There are three known 'standards' (which in fact doesn't exist) for octave numbering. C4 = MIDI note 60 is called the most common one, which is why I changed to it in the manuals some years ago. C3 = 60 has been introduced by Yamaha keyboards and is therefore also found in DAW software (but not all). The most seldom used one is where the lowest octave for the lowest MIDI note is 0 (instead of -1 or -2). Here MIDI note 60 equals C5.

Point is: the MIDI note number is always right and the same on all these systems, and will therefore work."

Since the button presses are entirely on Behringer X Touch Mini sending to TotalMix FX software, and having the Behringer setup to send as FF400 manual says:

Snapshot 1: 36 / 54 / #F 3
Snapshot 2: 37 / 55 / G 3 

It should work.  This is not like an issue where say Cubase sees a C3 note coming in but plays it as C4 or something like that. This is taken directly from the FF400 manual saying "if you want to load snapshot 1, send MIDI F#3 on channel 1".  In order to load snapshot 1 I actually had to program the button for F#2 and not F#3.  Are you saying that the Behrginer itself is using a different standard and even though the software tool to program it says F#3 it is not actually sending F#3?

This also did not translate correctly on the CC for fader control on the various channel controls I wanted.

The manual says for fader control:

MIDI Channel 9
CC102 : AN 1 Fader : 0 - 127
CC103 : AN 2 Fader : 0 - 127
CC104 : AN 3 Fader : 0 - 127
CC105 : AN 4 Fader : 0 - 127
CC106 : AN 5 Fader : 0 - 127
CC107 : AN 6 Fader : 0 - 127
CC108 : AN 7 Fader : 0 - 127
CC109 : AN 8 Fader : 0 - 127

CC108 or CC109 actually moved the the SPDIF and not my analog 7/8 outputs (headphone).

I took a guess and made it CC107 which DOES work to control analog 7/8 hardware output fader.  Is this another standard issue?  I'm just trying to wrap my head around this and learn from you so I don't have more headache on future custom programming stuff as I get better with TMFX.

thank you for your great hardware and software. i love my 15 year old ff400.

> Point is: the MIDI note number is always right and the same on all these systems, and will therefore work."

It means hex and decimal values will always be right, the note or key number might not. You use the key number, so offsets might happen.

The list of CC commands might be based on the former TotalMix. The FF400 manual is no longer updated, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by nateandrews 2020-08-18 19:07:40)

Thanks for clarifying. I have this setup and working well for me after some minor head scratching and total confusion due to these standards.  It sure is nice to have master volume control and headphone control mapped to a fader!  I used to have to mouse click over to TotalMIX and drag stuff or reach over to the FF400 and spin knob.  With the xtouch I do have to switch banks for headphone fader vs main vol fader since it has just one fader, but it works perfectly.

I've also mapped several buttons to custom snapshots that control mutes for my microphones and my DI signals so I can quickly hear just my SM81, just my TLM103 or both, etc.  Brilliant. 

I'm actually going to take the X touch mini away from my TM control and put it back into Cubase since it has so many awesome encoders and buttons and feels great.  It's a shame to deploy such a great controller for just the basic needs so I intend to replace it with an older, crappier Korg nanokontrol with the multiple faders.  I'm keeping an eye out for used ones and the shittier condition, the better.  Looking for one with missing knobs and buttons and all beat up so I can it for like $10 USD!

THANK YOU!!

Is there an update MIDI MAPPING anywhere?  I know the MIDI NOTE NUMBER works as standard but what about the CC102 through CC108?

Struggling again just trying to do one more thing.  All I wish to do is assigned 2 faders on my midi controller to contorl the SPDIF L and SPDIF R HARDWARE INPUTS.

I have this working perfectly for AN1 using CHANNEL 1 and CC102.  I am not able to get contorl of SPDIF HARDWARE INPUT using any other CC1xx value.  Please help.

18 (edited by sndp 2021-08-10 00:00:30)

nateandrews wrote:

Struggling again just trying to do one more thing.  All I wish to do is assigned 2 faders on my midi controller to contorl the SPDIF L and SPDIF R HARDWARE INPUTS.

I have this working perfectly for AN1 using CHANNEL 1 and CC102.  I am not able to get contorl of SPDIF HARDWARE INPUT using any other CC1xx value.  Please help.

From the Babyface Pro FS manual:

The first row in TotalMix is addressed by MIDI channels 1 up to 4, the middle row by channels 5
up to 8 and the bottom row by channels 9 up to 12.

16  Controller  numbers  are  used:  102  up  to  117  (=  hex  66  to  75).  With these 16 Controllers (=
faders)  and  4  MIDI  channels  each  per  row,  up  to  64  faders  can  be  controlled  per  row  (as  re-
quired by the HDSPe MADI).

IINM, what this means is that you can address any fader on the first row (hardware inputs) buy using channels 1 through 4 and CC values from 102 through 117. So if the fader you want is not one of the first 16 (CC102-CC117) in channel 1, try channel 2 (again using CC values from 102-117) and so on upto channel 4 till you find the fader you want.