1 (edited by echoechochoochoo 2020-08-23 17:22:01)

Topic: Quality difference between Babyface Pro FS and a Zoom H6 as interface

Hi RME forums!

I'm gearing up for an international adventure, and to bring my beloved UFX II with me would be impractical.

I have a Zoom H6 here, which can be run as an audio interface, and I'm curious if anyone is knowledgeable with the quality of that device in that mode, and can advise me as to whether it would be a satisfying interface for a (4-8 month) musical adventure, or if I should really be looking at a Babyface Pro FS as the means to maintaining the quality of my productions as I travel.

As I have the H6 in hand, if it's satisfactory for such an application, that's great news for my wallet...but I fear the thought of backpedaling wrt the quality of my AD/DA chain and adding latency when it comes to working in Ableton. I've also come to take Totalmix FX for granted, so perhaps that may be an added consideration which would point me toward the Babyface.

I would love to hear this forum's input, as it would inform my decision making here!

Warmly,
echo

Re: Quality difference between Babyface Pro FS and a Zoom H6 as interface

> As I have the H6 in hand, if it's satisfactory for such an application, that's great news for my wallet...

If you have it, why don't you try it out whether its satisfactory ?

> I've also come to take Totalmix FX for granted, so perhaps that may be an added consideration
> which would point me toward the Babyface.

Thats an absolutely valiid point.

RME = best driver stability + latency
BBF Pro FS = latest converter with lowest converter latency

See also Excel in this blog (https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/) where I put together a lot of information, also converter latency of RME recording interfaces (in german and now also in english): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

You can see, that BBF Pro now offers the lowest converter latency: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/
BBF Pro FS: 5/7 samples (in / out ) vs 12 / 7 UFX II/+
And you are getting good phone outputs etc.

I would also guess that the quality of analog section is better with RME.
For me personally Zoom is more a consumer product.

With RME you have an interface with long term driver support and advanced features, that zoom can't give to you:
- TotalMix FX / routing capabilities
- DIGIcheck
- DIGIchecks Global Record (lightweight recording program)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Quality difference between Babyface Pro FS and a Zoom H6 as interface

I interpreted international adventure in a way, that he meets with some guys to make some music or to record some ideas in his hotelroom. Maybe in some cases he needs to connect additional Preamp or ADDA converter via ADAT.

And a Zoom recorder will always be a recorder and no (RME) recording interface ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13