Topic: Is there a way to enable more fader groups and more remotes?

I use a Fireface ufx+ with reaper as the heart of my studio, and I use Totalmix to create headphone mixes for the musicians.  I use 4 old iPhones running touch OSC as personal monitor controllers for musicians to manage their own headphone mixes.

I find that many clients are intimidated by the complexity of the RME remote app, so I made a touchOSC layout that just has 3 faders: one for their own monitor level (labelled "you"), one for the playback level, and one for the click track. Each iPhone controls a corresponding dummy track in reaper which translates the incoming OSC messages to relevant midi signals, and redirects the midi to Totalmix with the apple IAC driver.

Since the "you" fader needs to be assignable, I have it set up to control an unused MADI input fader, which I use as a sort of VCA master by putting it in a fader group with the input faders that I want to control with the "you" fader in that particular submix.

Right now I am limited to 4 remotes, but I often need up to 8, is there a way to enable more remotes? In addition, I will need to be able to make up to 8 fader groups, is that possible? This seems like a purely software-based limitation, is there a reason Totalmix is limited to 4 remotes and groups?

Re: Is there a way to enable more fader groups and more remotes?

Following...this is very interesting.

We discussed this and it might be possible to extend the number of OSC remotes to 8 in a later TotalMix update. But there are two points:

- so far you are the only one who ever asked for this, so usually this will not happen unless we see some more demand.

- basically all you wanted can be had with the Remote software. Use Channel Layout to remove channels for the respective musician, and use the rights management to restrict his actions to his submix. I don't see how such a stripped down version of TM FX could be too hard to understand.

The number of fader groups can not be raised easily, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sounds like a Very Good Idea. So here's some more demand big_smile

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

MC wrote:

We discussed this and it might be possible to extend the number of OSC remotes to 8 in a later TotalMix update. But there are two points:

- so far you are the only one who ever asked for this, so usually this will not happen unless we see some more demand.

- basically all you wanted can be had with the Remote software. Use Channel Layout to remove channels for the respective musician, and use the rights management to restrict his actions to his submix. I don't see how such a stripped down version of TM FX could be too hard to understand.

The number of fader groups can not be raised easily, sorry.

Thank you for the reply, I hope the number of remotes can be expanded soon! I realize I could use your remote app, but I only have one iPad. I had a bunch of old iPhones laying around, but the remote won’t run on iPhones.

I think the remote software is great. I wish it could work on iphones too.  Like MC said, It's easy enough to edit the channel layout to make it simple for anyone to use.

basssalad wrote:

I think the remote software is great. I wish it could work on iphones too.  Like MC said, It's easy enough to edit the channel layout to make it simple for anyone to use.

Ah wow, can you have individual channel layouts for different remote clients?
I will need to try this again, last time it was also affecting the channels on the iMac's Total Mix...

yes each remote can have it's own channel layout.  on the ipad app. go to settings/ options and you'll see channel layout.

On the host computer. Go to options/network remote settings. There you can set each remote to only adjust certain channels. I only have one ipad so I haven't tested this. Let me know if this indeed works!

10 (edited by MindyGonzales 2021-09-05 10:43:49)

Amen to this. 

The UFX+ seems an incredible piece of kit, but I'm holding off til I can give artists an android(!)/ios link to control their monitor mixes.  Ideally I'm just looking for a web link like (ahem) one of your competitors to give access to a massively locked down aux bus, as making up a touchosc app seems likely to be a lengthy pain in the butt.

Advice very welcome, I'll check back

I could use more mute, solo, and fader groups also.

Always found it a bit odd that they're limited to 4 each, I'd think this would be something that is infinitely expandible. Starts with one group, hit a plus button to create a new group, etc.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

a strong vote for more groups from me too.

I am using a MIDI surface to control headphone and main monitor submixes of the hardware inputs in totalmix. My goal is to listen to my synths without having to monitor through the DAW software (conveniently adjusting monitoring levels or listening to a different mix while recording). Sometimes I listen to them through headphones and sometimes through loudspeakers. TotalMix groups allow me to group the input faders in both submixes. It is quite a common application, I think.

I am very happy how this works, but currently TotalMix is limited to four channels (mono or stereo), so funcionalitly is very limited.

Cheers

I have the exact same need for the exact same reason. The TotalMix remote could make the job, but removing what can me removed doesn’t make the app very appealing for musicians who need only a few faders and the App is not available for Android while we have a mix of iOS and Android smartphone/tablets in bands. So a third party OSC app is the solution but we need more remotes, at least one per possible submix.

Yes please, more remotes and more fader groups.

Also why the remote app is only for Ipad? This is the most expensive option. Android tablets are cheap and I am sure they can do the job just fine.

ps. Only 4 fader groups? Whyyyyyyyyyy

15 (edited by Ninbura 2023-08-22 18:31:33)

ariskimon wrote:

Also why the remote app is only for Ipad? This is the most expensive option. Android tablets are cheap and I am sure they can do the job just fine.

I mean, you can pick up a 2nd gen iPad for less than $50 & it'll run Totalmix Remote. Kinda plays into your point, but just saying there are dirt cheap options.

Would be awesome if they brought the app to phones. Then when you have guests in your studio you can just tell them to download the app, give them 1-5 faders that are applicable to their headphone mix.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

Sheabug wrote:

..I use Totalmix to create headphone mixes for the musicians.  I use 4 old iPhones running touch OSC as personal monitor controllers for musicians to manage their own headphone mixes...

@Sheabug, perhaps you could share your TouchOSC TM FX phone template, such that other users could see the benefit of having more OSC remotes available? ;-)