1 (edited by xenic 2020-09-01 21:07:05)

Topic: Help needed - RME Babyface Pro - Static/Ground Loop Noise

Hi guys, I am using Babyface Pro FS to mainly record sound on my Desktop PC, but I'd like to be able to utilize the XLR mic on both my desktop and work laptop for video conferencing.

Below is my current setup:

https://i.ibb.co/7pSRMvD/Presentation1.jpg

My problem is that I'm getting a lot of static noise floor when I connect my Babyface to the laptop using XLR Out into the laptop's 3.5mm Mic jack.  The noise persists even when the mic is turned off, leading me to think that it might be a ground issue.  Scrolling or clicking mouse does not have any impact on the noise.

I did purchase a 3.5mm ground loop isolator (like this one) and while it definitely helped reduce loud noises, there is still an audible hum.

Any idea what I can do to completely get rid of the hum/static noise?  Thank you!

Re: Help needed - RME Babyface Pro - Static/Ground Loop Noise

Did you try to run the laptop on battery?

That transformer based isolator is basically the right idea. But it is stereo, so I am not sure it was connected the right way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is the input on the laptop really a mic level input, or is it a (stereo?) line input?

Wouldn’t it be easiest to just plug the Babyface USB cable into the laptop whenever you want to use your laptop?

MC wrote:

Did you try to run the laptop on battery?

That transformer based isolator is basically the right idea. But it is stereo, so I am not sure it was connected the right way.

Yes, I've tried unplugging all the peripherals as well as the power cord.  The noise is still there.  Interestingly, lowering the Windows input level from 100 to 1 reduced the noise noticeably.  However, changing the output volume on Babyface Pro has no effect.

breun wrote:

Is the input on the laptop really a mic level input, or is it a (stereo?) line input?

Wouldn’t it be easiest to just plug the Babyface USB cable into the laptop whenever you want to use your laptop?

The input on the laptop is indeed a mic level input.  When I plug in the XLR-to-3.5mm cable from Babyface to the laptop, the laptop recognizes it as a Realtek External Microphone.  Strangely, the level meter doesn't respond at all even though sound does flow through when I record or talk on voice chat.

Switching the USB connection between my desktop and laptop is not ideal because I'd like to be able to listen to music on my desktop via headphones while working.

Hi!

I think you will find some ideas and solutions here...

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudi … ction.html

regards S-EH

You wrote this is a mic input. In that case you won't get rid of noise unless you insert an attenuator between BF Pro XLR Out (+19 dBu ) and TRS In Laptop (< 0 dBu). See similar topic here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I found taking the thing behind where the wire bundle fixes into the Babyface got rid of my groundloop problem. Also look into the Behringer MicroHD 400