Topic: 10 band parametric EQ for sample rates lower than 384 kHZ??

Hi,

Given that 5 band PEQ utilise most of the DSP resources at 768 kHZ,
would it be then possible to have a 10 band PEQ at sample rates up to 384 kHz or even at max 96 kHz?
DSP could switch between 10 and 5 band PEQ if the input stream is of higher sample rate than certain threshold e.g. 96 kHz.

Thanks smile

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-09-04 06:40:04)

Re: 10 band parametric EQ for sample rates lower than 384 kHZ??

+1 from me, with a lot of "but's":

• According to my relatively minor requests and MC's repiles it will never happen due to limitied hardware storage capabilities.

• As simple as the idea sounds in the 1st place, it would mean major changes in the ADI-2.

• If 5 bands of EQ is not enough to fix a system there's something basicly wrong that can't be fixed with 10 bands either - my experience.

• Small bands - hi Q-factors - don't sound good, either cause strange colorations at boost, or stay almost inaudible with cuts.
The result of 10 bands EQ with broad bands can mostly be approximated with 5 bands too.

• If you want to experiment with 10 bands (on the ADI-2 Pro) you can use the analog input, this stacks it's EQ to the output's one.

• What I would vote for in this context is:
The integration of the separate Shelving EQ into the main EQ, while maintaining the direct Encoder 1/2 access to the band levels.
Different headphones need different shelving x-over f's and Q's.

This would "free" the outer bands of the main EQ in most settings, changing the EQ into a 7-band.

Re: 10 band parametric EQ for sample rates lower than 384 kHZ??

I wish to agree with Kai on this matter.  When 5 Bands of EQ is insufficient...there is a fundamental flaw in the Speaker/Room/Listener interface.   5 bands of EQ turns into 10...then there will be cries for 20 bands... 

There are a number of measurement tools available (REW,etc) to aid the user in making Speaker positioning, etc adjustments.   In the end, this method of correction is in my opinion far preferable to any attempt at correcting (on a Hz by Hz basis) every sound in the Audible Spectrum by electronic means.  It doesn't sound good.

Finally...you might find 5 bands of EQ to be quite sufficient.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes