Topic: So... how about some more color?

I love my ADI2 DAC, use it every day since release. I could really do with some new Meter/Level colors. While I love the three we have, why not give us some more? Would really appreciate some purple big_smile

Re: So... how about some more color?

Sanktra,

We went through this some time ago on the Forum.  Oh my...folks wanting Teal, Mauve, Eggshell etc. 

I myself wanted a nice German Landschaft skin...but that was not to be.

Purple is truly not a highly visible color.  Wife, and I accepted Digital Green as our Color.  It pairs well with my Actives...

We enjoy our RME as delivered!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Purple does seem a little out there.

But red or white on black would be nice.

They're very readable on black backgrounds, and the instrument colors used by Audi.

I would also like this.

5 (edited by Curt962 2020-09-08 01:46:05)

Hmmm..

What I might truly like is for the Display to flash ALL RED when "overs" are detected.  As if the Ear Pain weren't enough..   Folks, 0db is as far as it goes in Digital, and some Studio Cowboy trying to push his work to +11 is not going to work.  Damaging to Gear as well.    Think of the needless death, senseless Murder of your Tweeters...

I'm a bit reluctant to pester RME Technik for some silly desire of mine...but a warning that is visible from across the room might be helpful.

Else...The current color palette is to me more than sufficient

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

6 (edited by KaiS 2020-09-08 22:24:48)

The detection of "Over" isn't that simple in digital.
In fact, after DA-convertion, or in the (integer) digital domain, there is no physical "Over" any more, just digital fullscale, 0dBFS, max. possible signal.

Over detection, per Red Book definition, is defined as 3 samples in line hitting fullscale, 0dBFS.
Then there are the intersample peaks that can occour at DA-conversion.
The manual doesn't tell which method RME choosed, I'd guess "Red Book".

In a pro evironment dynamic limiters are standard to prevent overs.
These DO NOT avoid all negative effects of driving a signal too hot, but digital overs and the related distortions do not occur then, even when hitting 0dBFS.
A lot of commercially available music tracks are mastered that way.

The ADI Level meters are peak meters with OVS signalled at highest digital level. Currently there is neither upsampling nor sample count implemented. The latter might be an option for later.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME