Topic: Only one sample rate in Windows sound control panel in UAC2 mode

Moved to here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by rajupras 2020-08-31 03:53:08)

Re: Only one sample rate in Windows sound control panel in UAC2 mode

MC wrote:

All you need to do is the Device Manager remove and delete process - as explained in the DAC's manual. That's exactly what I just did (3 times, as older drivers were re-installed upon each of the three reboots).

Sorry to bring this up again, but I think I am facing other issues with Windows 10 2004 and I wanted to rule out any issues because I have the RME dac drivers installed. I have a couple of questions:

1. I tried uninstalling the RME drivers using the Device Manager method as explained in the DAC's manual. However, I still see only one sample rate (32 bit 44.1k) in the Windows Sound Control panel. It appears that somehow the RME drivers are not getting fully uninstalled in my case. What options do I have to ensure that the RME drivers are fully uninstalled?

2. One of the differences I understand between 2004 and 1909 editions is the approach to Modern Standby. Is there any reason the RME drivers are making the 2004 Modern Standby features to misbehave. I had issues with sleep and wake on my computer with the 2004 update and I rolled back to the 1909 update - so far not had issues over the past 2 days with sleep and wake. In both updates I had the RME drivers installed.

1. Repeat the whole process until you see multiple sample rates.

2. I don't see how Modern Standby changed. It was fully supported in 1909 already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. Repeat the whole process until you see multiple sample rates.

2. I don't see how Modern Standby changed. It was fully supported in 1909 already.

For 2. - I am working with the PC vendor and sorting out some BIOS settings to fix my wake and sleep issues. Thanks for confirming that there are no issues with the RME Drivers.

For 1. - will try in the future if required. For now, I will continue to use the RME drivers - which work very well thank you :-)

Further updates on this - and a couple of questions again. Thanks for your responses in advance.

My PC vendor is still trying to provide solutions to the sleep / wake issues I have on my computer. In the meantime, I tried connecting the RME DAC to a completely different computer - one to which the DAC was never connected in the past, and where no RME drivers were ever installed. This computer runs Windows 10 1803.

So I assumed there would be no problem of wrongly uninstalling the RME drivers. I was connected in Windows 10 class compliant mode, but in the Sound Control panel I still see only one sample rate namely 32 bit 44.1k

Does this rule out Windows 10 issues or computer issues and mean that there could be some issue with the DAC hardware?

I used the same standard USB cable throughout. Is there any chance that there could be a problem with the USB cable that is causing this problem?

You could check the USB cable on the computer with the RME ASIO driver installed and then watch USB diagnosis
in the driver settings. USB transport errors are being displayed if they occurr.
You need to keep the settings dialog opened so that USB diagnosis continues to run.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks - but already did that and no errors were reported when using the same USB cable.

Quite puzzling !!

rajupras wrote:

Further updates on this - and a couple of questions again. Thanks for your responses in advance.

My PC vendor is still trying to provide solutions to the sleep / wake issues I have on my computer. In the meantime, I tried connecting the RME DAC to a completely different computer - one to which the DAC was never connected in the past, and where no RME drivers were ever installed. This computer runs Windows 10 1803.

So I assumed there would be no problem of wrongly uninstalling the RME drivers. I was connected in Windows 10 class compliant mode, but in the Sound Control panel I still see only one sample rate namely 32 bit 44.1k

Does this rule out Windows 10 issues or computer issues and mean that there could be some issue with the DAC hardware?

I used the same standard USB cable throughout. Is there any chance that there could be a problem with the USB cable that is causing this problem?

Further updates. In Class compliant mode, with Foobar Wasapi exclusive bit tests are passed at all sample rates. So clearly the USB cable and receiver in the DAC are working at all sample rates.

Any reason why only one sample rate is shown in the Sound Control panel.

Note that I have tried with multiple other computers where RME drivers were never installed, and in all cases only one sample rate is shown in the Control Panel.

Any suggestions on what I should do next to resolve this problem?

rajupras wrote:
rajupras wrote:

Further updates. In Class compliant mode, with Foobar Wasapi exclusive bit tests are passed at all sample rates. So clearly the USB cable and receiver in the DAC are working at all sample rates.

Any reason why only one sample rate is shown in the Sound Control panel.

Note that I have tried with multiple other computers where RME drivers were never installed, and in all cases only one sample rate is shown in the Control Panel.

Any suggestions on what I should do next to resolve this problem?

Further update while waiting for a response.

I disable the SPDIF input of the RME dac in the Sound control panel of Windows 10. I now have all sample rates shown.  This behaviour is repeatable as I toggled the input device on and off a few times.

Any help please to resolve this issue?

This is not at all repeatable on our computers. The SPDIF input is active and default for anyone that uses the ADI-2 DAC without drivers, and so far all see all sample rates no matter what they do. In fact even when using the SPDIF as input source (and thus clocking from the SPDIF input), only one sample rate will work, but all are still listed in the Sound control panel.

It seems the systems you tested this on have a specific software, driver or configuration that causes this unusual behaviour.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

About to hijack this thread even more - just want to say thanks to rajupras for the workaround with disabling SPDIF input. This is the first time I can actually change sample rates in win10 audio control panel when using ADI-2 as USB DAC! And this also lets the WASAPI exclusive applications automatically change the sample rate on demand. Great!

On my win10 1909 the sample rate comboBox in control panel was disabled all the time from the beginning, stuck at 44.1kHz 32bit. And I never had any RME drivers installed, so there is nothing to clean. OS is installed recently with only Realtek drivers for onboard audio installed. Nothing special running in the background, I keep my OS clean. There must be something fishy - either in ADI-2 firmware or in win10 audio layer. And based on my experience with messed-up win10 updates, I really suspect the OS...