Topic: How to use OVS and +0dBfs metering

I've red the help files and came interested about the +0dBfs -signals. The help file said something like you could examine how well the computer plug-ins are coded (correct bandwidth-limitation?) and also find out interesting stuff out of mastered cds. After trying few things around, I came to conclusion that I'm not sure how to do this kind of examinations. Could someone give some ideas how start? I believe there are others how interested also..

For example, how to analyze mastered cds? I guess I should import tracks digitally to computer. After that I should play them with OVS set off (seeing a ceiling of -0,2 dB for example) and then turn OVS on and I should maybe see something else, right? Is this right maneuver? And what kind of conclusions I could draw from here?

The other thing are plug-ins. For example, I loaded the old Waves L1-maximizer and limited some material super hard with it (with -0.0 dB ceiling). Saw couple white-lights, +0dBfs, but couldn't really tell if something is happening or not..

So thats basically it. Could someone share some knowledge here how to take more advantage of the great Digicheck-program?

2 (edited by Dandruff 2008-06-14 19:24:31)

Re: How to use OVS and +0dBfs metering

Kala2 wrote:

After that I should play them with OVS set off (seeing a ceiling of -0,2 dB for example) and then turn OVS on and I should maybe see something else, right?

Yes (at least in some cases). See http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost.ph … stcount=20

3 (edited by Kala2 2008-06-14 19:55:49)

Ok, thanks for the clarification, it's getting more clear. Then what kind of conclusions should I draw from this data? For example, I see white lights peaking in Digicheck meters and they show something like +0,3 dBfs. This material has been clipped in mastering stage? Or can some software-limiters, like popular L2 from waves, introduce this if driven too hard? Or in more general, can intersample-peaks be done in software world (without clipping the master channel)? This is lazy mastering work or something that cannot be avoided in todays loudness-war?

Yeah, I know lots of questions, but they do relate to measuring things (as measurements must always be interpreted to make any meaning).

Kala2 wrote:

Ok, thanks for the clarification, it's getting more clear. Then what kind of conclusions should I draw from this data? For example, I see white lights peaking in Digicheck meters and they show something like +0,3 dBfs. This material has been clipped in mastering stage?

not necessarily. but when an D/A converter reconstructs the signal (as shown on the "polynomial" image in the reaper forum), clipping can occur.

Kala2 wrote:

Or can some software-limiters, like popular L2 from waves, introduce this if driven too hard?

yes.

Kala2 wrote:

Or in more general, can intersample-peaks be done in software world (without clipping the master channel)?

yes. but now you have digicheck to avoid it smile

basically level-meters in other software (cubase for example) just show you the exact sample-levels/values. but digicheck OVS predicts how the signal could look like between two samples.

Ok, thank you for sharing the information. I'll be importing tracks to computer and experiment with meters.