Topic: Inserted my firewire 400 into the ff800 the wrong way!

As in the title, in a moment of negligence I somehow managed to insert my firewire 400 into the ff800 the wrong way!

The firewire 400 port on my ff800 now no longer works. The 800 ports do work so it looks like I've fried the 400 input.

Can this be fixed easily or is it more involved?

Any assistance much appreciated.

Re: Inserted my firewire 400 into the ff800 the wrong way!

Sorry to hear about that, unfortunately if the chip was burned by sending voltage down the wrong pins then there is no easy fix. You can continue on with the FW800 ports or send the unit to your local RME distributor for a check up and estimate.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Sorry to hear about that, unfortunately if the chip was burned by sending voltage down the wrong pins then there is no easy fix. You can continue on with the FW800 ports or send the unit to your local RME distributor for a check up and estimate.

Is the chip something standard that a decent tech could replace? Is it surface mount?

Thankfully ff800 ports are still working. I thought I'd bricked it for a moment. Would like to fix if possible.

Just contact your local RME distributor and they will help. It looks like you are in the UK, so contact Synthax UK.

https://www.synthax.co.uk/support

I would not recommend replacing the chip, there are many tiny pins. The unit was built by robots smile

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I contacted synthax but the cost and turnaround times (has to go to Germany for repairs) make it impractical. As the 800 ports are still functional I'll just soldier on with those.

Btw, is the chip something that can be obtained here in the UK just in case I can find a good tech to look at repair?