Topic: Best way to connect ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to amp and sub at the same time.

I have a balanced amplifier and balanced subwoofer.

The amplifier only has balanced inputs and balanced crossover outputs.

The amplifier has balanced and unbalanced inputs but no outputs.

What is the best way to hook up both devices to the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE?

Option 1: Use "Y" cables to split the xlr outputs on the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and send it to both the subwoofer and the amplifier.

Option 2: Use the XLR outputs on the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to feed the subwoofer and then use the XLR crossover outputs on the subwoofer to feed the amplifier. (There is a flat option to bypass the crossover).

Option 3: Use XLR - XLR cables to connect the amplifier and TRS - XLR cables to connect the sub.

Option 4: Use TS - RCA cables to connect the amplifier and XLR - XLR cables to connect the sub.

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-09-20 06:50:37)

Re: Best way to connect ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to amp and sub at the same time.

To give remote diagnosis it would help to know the type of sub, amp and main speakers used, and the room dimensions.

With small sized main speakers the sub's x-over should be used, so Option 2 with x-over active.
This setup does not make use of an integrated "Home Theater" amplifier's features, like source switching, volume control etc.

3 (edited by Logan Nolag 2020-09-20 08:02:05)

KaiS wrote:

To give remote diagnosis it would help to know the type of sub, amp and main speakers used, and the room dimensions.

With small sized main speakers the sub's x-over should be used, so Option 2 with x-over active.
This setup does not make use of an integrated "Home Theater" amplifier's features, like source switching, volume control etc.

I'm using a McIntosh MC302 Amplfier with Dynaudio Focus 160 bookshelf speakers and a Dynaudio BM14S II subwoofer.

EDIT: The room is approximately 13' 8" x 15' (4.17M x 4.57M)

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-09-20 14:45:55)

That's simple:
As mentioned, Option 2 with sub's x-over active.

This removes the stress of very low frequencies from the satellites, for a better sounding midrange.

Needs a bit of tuning and maybe optimizing the speaker positions if possible.
Subwoofer placement and settings are critical.

1st order room mode is 76Hz (there's a less important at 54Hz too), so the 80Hz sat. x-over, together with the sub's continuous control and phase switch, can help to deal with it.

For achieving a good freq. response measurements are essential.
Again I suggest the iPhone App Audio Tools, FFT part, by Andrew Smith / Studio Six Digital.
It is a self contained App that doesn't need any additional hardware for precise measurements:
https://studiosixdigital.com
There's a 7 day try out period available.

If you want to use it I can guide you through the process.

5 (edited by Logan Nolag 2020-09-21 00:29:08)

KaiS wrote:

That's simple:
As mentioned, Option 2 with sub's x-over active.

This removes the stress of very low frequencies from the satellites, for a better sounding midrange.

Needs a bit of tuning and maybe optimizing the speaker positions if possible.
Subwoofer placement and settings are critical.

1st order room mode is 76Hz (there's a less important at 54Hz too), so the 80Hz sat. x-over, together with the sub's continuous control and phase switch, can help to deal with it.

For achieving a good freq. response measurements are essential.
Again I suggest the iPhone App Audio Tools, FFT part, by Andrew Smith / Studio Six Digital.
It is a self contained App that doesn't need any additional hardware for precise measurements:
https://studiosixdigital.com
There's a 7 day try out period available.

If you want to use it I can guide you through the process.

Excellent advice. Thank you.